$230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!!

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
Oh my!

Steve

PS

The narrator is confused when it comes to the cows and the bulls.;)

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #2  
That's awfully expensive hamburger.

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #3  
Back in the 70's we had purebred Holsteins and when my uncle decided to semi retire we had a dispersal and our best went for 7800.00. We averaged 2800 for 70 cows. The highest I ever seen sold was 72 thousand at a dispersal. I didn't think they were bringing that kind of money any more. After they started doing embro transplants using brood cows and stuff we seen prices go way down. Haven't milked a cow since 1980 but I think in the next year or two I will get and old one just to have fresh milk, cream off the top and make my own butter. All I raise now is bottle feed Holsteins and finish them out to 11 to 13 hundred pounds for family and friends to eat. Love Holsteins.

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #4  
"Genetically bred" is a bit of a confusing term, especially when the narrator puts two cows together to make a calf. I did find the video interesting; although the Genetics course I took back in the dark ages talked about eggs AND sperm. Seems Ferdinand was somewhat slighted. I suppose "genetically bred" actually means something like "selective breeding for desirable genetic traits". Dairy farming is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week job. It take some fortitude and dedication to make a go of it without working yourself to death. Glad someone is finally doing well in the dairy business; it's taken long enough. I remember my Dad telling me that back in the depression years, you could buy a Holstein or Jersey bull calf for 50 cents...U.S. Currency.

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #5  
This like the guy who bought a hairpiece for $5000 - thats just too much to pay (toupee) Laughs like Sir graves ghastly

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!!
I remember my Dad telling me that back in the depression years, you could buy a Holstein or Jersey bull calf for 50 cents...U.S. Currency.

Some years ago, the Director of the SC Ag. Experiment Station funded a stipend for one of my graduate students to perform an economic analysis of the Experiment Station's livestock farms under my direction.

I remember that the dairy farm was sending bull calves to a local auction. The calves typically brought $5/head, but the auction barn had a minimum auction fee of $7/head.

Steve

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #7  
My Wife is well worth 230K! She puts up with me!

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #8  
My Wife is well worth 230K! She puts up with me!

If your wife finds out you called her a Heifer, no mater how much you value her, she might make you disappear this winter! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just found out that one of the wife's friends has family that owns a diary. Did not think there were any left in our area. All the old diary farms that I have seen have been closed down for decades. :(

Later,
Dan

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #9  
If your wife finds out you called her a Heifer, no mater how much you value her, she might make you disappear this winter! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just found out that one of the wife's friends has family that owns a diary. Did not think there were any left in our area. All the old diary farms that I have seen have been closed down for decades. :(

Later,
Dan

My Wife has a very good sense of humor. She understands my warped penchant for "pet" names. In the past 20+ years she has been "Gomer, Doofy2, Whistle Britches, Gomerretta, Gomerreah, Sackajewea, FetchMammy, Puddles and probably many more. If I should wake up dead, I've gone to far!

/ $230,000 for a Heifer!!! Holy Cow!!! #10  
Doofy - you best be careful up there. A lot of folks have "gone lost" up in your neck of the woods. Gone Lost also carries the connotation - - Never found.

There were two very large active dairy farms on the one road west of me - Lance Hill - they closed down in the '50's.