2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions

/ 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #1  

149owner

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 149, Kubota BX2200, LX3310, JD LX277
I'm trying to help a friend get his 2240 running. I found out the circuit breaker needs to be replaced but there is something else wrong in the starting circuit. The tractor will start if you jumper the starter solenoid. He told me the tractor would start fine in the morning but after he had been running it a while and shut it off and then tried to restart it shortly after, it wouldn't start unless he jumped the starter solenoid. While doing this on one occasion is when he blew out the circuit breaker because before that the gauges worked but now they don't and they are powered through the circuit breaker.
I don't know what year the tractor is but the attached schematic doesn't seem to agree with some of the wiring. Does someone have the next page to it that tells what the part numbering refers to? Coming off of the Start terminal on the key switch the wiring goes to #10 and then to a relay #14. Does anyone know where the #14 relay is located and what the #10 is? I'd really like to find out what all of the components are which is why I'm asking for the next sheet that would give their descriptions.
Before I got involved he took out what I think is the PTO sensor that is located right below the PTO engagement control lever. This sensor screws into the front of the transmission cover that the shift levers and PTO control come through. We can't get it to thread back into the hole since there is so little clearance to get you fingers into to turn it. There is a spring that fits over the end of it that gets screwed into the cover and only one electrical connection to it on the outside. This sensor appears to be a solid rod, threaded on the outside for the electrical connection, with a plastic outer case that screws into the cover. The coil spring slides over the piece of the rod that goes into the case. The spring is about twice the length of the part of the rod it slides over. If this sensor is supposed to provide a ground path for a signal when the PTO lever is in a certain position what keeps the spring from providing this path all of the time? Is this sensor supposed to be #9 in the schematic? #9 has two wiring connections but the sensor I'm dealing with only has one.
Last question is about the PTO lever. Before he removed the above sensor he could pull up on the PTO control knob and it would stay up but since he took the sensor out the lever won't stay in the up position and just drops down. The spring on the sensor doesn't seem to be strong enough to hold the PTO lever in the up position, if that is what it is supposed to do. Does it sound like we have to remove the transmission cover to find out why this happened. We may have to remove it to get the pita sensor back in! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 207
   / 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #2  
Best I can offer is to get the service tech manual, as it sounds like you are going into this with several problems to solve. Others may have immediate answers, and hope they can help you out. Wish you luck finding out more.

/ 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #3  
TM 1221 is for tractors SN 350,000 & above. Lower SN 2240 tech manual is TM4301. Does your friend's 2240 have a metal or fiberglass battery cowling? I was a JD dealer service manager when 2240's were new & I don't remember them having a pto sensor. Do you have a part number for this sensor? Pto lever lever(key 18) has detent balls(key 17) & springs(/key 16) designed to hold lever/knob in set position.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-26 120122.png
    Annotation 2019-10-26 120122.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Annotation 2019-10-26 120833.png
    Annotation 2019-10-26 120833.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 214
   / 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions
Thanks for the replies. The sensor I'm talking about is located right below #10 on the transmission cover that #10 bolts to. Tx Jim- would you have the page available that gives the description of the part identifier numbers shown in the attachment I posted? I'll have to check tomorrow to see if the battery cowling is metal or not. I assume you mean the hood that covers from the instrument cluster to the front of the tractor. There is nothing else that covers the batteries on this tractor.

/ 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #5  
Key 10 in the wiring diagram looks like the neutral start switch. Key 9 looks like it might be for MFWD looking at the switch the wire goes to, key 17.
I am not aware of any sensor for the PTO

Can you post pictures?

See my next post!

Last edited:
   / 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #6  
Looking JD parts, I found what it might be. Clutch pressure sender

Attachments

• 2240elct.PNG
    2240elct.PNG
    139.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 2240clutchpressuresender.PNG
    2240clutchpressuresender.PNG
    118.7 KB · Views: 191
   / 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions
You win the top shelf prize Zebrafive! That is where it is located. Does the MFWD stand for something Four Wheel Drive? Since this tractor doesn't have 4 wheel drive then it won't have that circuit in it. If anyone could post the page that gives the description what the part numbering refers to, I'd greatly appreciate it.

/ 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #8  
MFWD = Mechanical Front Wheel Drive.

/ 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #9  
My "guess" is the clutch pressure switch is to "light" a PTO engaged light on the dash. I am not sure it would prevent starting, since there would not be any pressure with the tractor not running.

I would check the transmission neutral start switch.

/ 2240 electrical questions and PTO lever questions #10  
That switch is to indicate oilpressure for the lowpressure hydraulics working your PTO ...MFWD and HI-LO if installed.
There is a neutralswitch in the starting circute and that is on the rockshafthousing under the plate that covers the gearlevers.