2210 vs. 4010

/ 2210 vs. 4010 #1  

Gunner308

this is a hard decision to make, i have 2 acres that will have to mow, and maybe another 2 in a few years. In the winter time i'll have about 1/4 mile of private road/drive that has no winter maintance to clear myself with a blower. I have been looking at the 2210 and the 4010 for the main unit, with a front loader, 2 stage blower, and 3PH mower. The loader would see the least amount of work, but will see enough to keep my wheelbarrow dusty. The problem is I am having a tough decision between the 2 machines. I like the power the 2210 has, and the size of the 4010. I see that many posting on this site has quoted the 4010 having a lower price point, but the impliments are more expensive. I have talked to some dealers and they have told me that they have more room to move on the attachments price vs. the tractor price.

So - any PRO'S vs. CONS in the two machines. Oh yea - all the land is flat with the exception of one part in the driveway - 4x4 is required in some harsh winter conditions, or your walking to the doorbell.

/ 2210 vs. 4010 #2  
I'm not sure but I hear the two are identical save for the tire size?? In which case I would tell you this; the 2210 will do the job. But if hillside stability and garage door clearance are not an issue I would go for the bigger one. I must admit that I like the size of the 4010 myself. And bigger tires are always better in certain conditions. Pros and cons? I don't like the MMM lift setup as it requires a spacer bar on the three point hitch, or a IMatch. But if you use a rear mower it's not an issue.

/ 2210 vs. 4010 #3  
The basic differences between the 2210 and 4010 are the following:

o About 4 to 5" more ground clearance on the 4010.
o Cruise control on the 4010 vs. a drink holder on the 2210.
o The 2210 has a positioner for a MMM. The 4010 doesn't.
o Dual brakes on the 4010. These are desirable when pushing snow with the FEL, as well as turning more sharply at the end of garden rows.
o The 4010 top-of-ROPS is 1" SHORTER than the 2210 with turf tires on both.
o The turf tires on the 4010 are (speced) 1/2" wider. They look even wider. Tried out both the 2210 and 4010 stopping and restarting (backing up) on a steep hill. The 4010 did it no problem. The 2210 wouldn't move. Tried 3 times to make sure I had it in 4wd. Still not sure I ever got it in.
o The 4010 when I bought it was $300 less.

I bought mine with FEL (49" bucket) and LX4 cutter with toothbar. I've since acquired a soil ripper that was originally run on a JD M of 18 (wheel) hp. The soil ripper fits on a 3 ph drawbar that I had fabricated with an additional "hole" for a top link to lift the soil ripper. Have posted pics of this in several places.

Total on my JD 4010 was $13,600. Soil ripper cost me another $75 in parts.

Ralph

/ 2210 vs. 4010 #4  
Ralph,

Sorry to sound argumentitive, but there is NO hill your 4010 will back up that the 2210 won't. I've never had a problem determining if I was in 4WD. If you want I can post pics of a hill that pushes limits. I live on it. The 2210 IS a value tractor, it does give up certain things to its larger brethren, however it is not a L100 tractor. And as for power, it DOES have 23 hp/17.7 PTO, and coming from a tractor with 20 hp/16 PTO, when doing the really tough stuff, hp DOES make a difference (my latest frame of reference is going through more than a foot of snow at something like 3/4 speed, and only limited by visibility, the 1.7 more hp of the 2210 vs. my last tractor was more than evident).

Anyone looking at these two machines, should be considering center of gravity (2210 atvantage), size (depends on your needs), hp (again depending on your needs), 3PH use (height may be an issue with the 2210), pocketbook (remembering that different tractors in different regions may or may not have different advantages).

My advice would be to try out the different tractors, and then if possible arrange to test them on your site.

Happy hunting. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 2210 vs. 4010 #5  
I agree with JDfanatic. a 2210 in 4wd will back up a hill steep enough to scare the living **** out of ya. And it is not overpowered. I almost wish at times it had a turbo, call me crazy.

As for my misinformation earlier, sorry, that's what I heard, should not repeat rumors. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif