2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #1  

chevy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, John Deere X739
I have been using my 2210, with 142 hours on it, to move snow alot this month. All without any problems. Thursday before I started I filled the fuel tank. I used it for over 2 hours. Again no problems. Friday I got it out of the barn to go to another location & when I got out on the street the tractor died.About 5 minutes after starting. I could crank it & it would start for a couple seconds & would die again. After about 4 times it would continue to run. I drove it back to my shop & it died again. Less than 3 minutes of run time. As I was looking for the problem I notice the sediment bowl was empty but was slowly refilling. My first thought was that the fuel was jelling. I put some treatment in the fuel, got the tractor restarted & put it back in the barn. Saturday we got another 6 inches of snow. This morning I started the tractor, took the blade off & hooked up the snow blower. I got the tractor out of the barn & started blowing snow. About 15 minutes after first starting the tractor it died again.
The sediment bowl was empty again. I unhookd the fuel line that comes from the bottom of the tank & the fuel flows through it. Could the filter be plugged? Any other ideas?
Thanks
Chris

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #2  
I'd change the filter and make sure there's not a piece of trash in the inlet of the fuel bowl. Perhaps run a piece of wire through the inlet.

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill I found that I had a new filter & put it on. That did not solve the problem as the bowl started emptying again. I let the bowl refill & dove the tractor back to the barn & noticed the bowl was still full. I started blowing snow & after about 15 minutes it died again. There must be something in the tank that is blocking the outlet. I will drain the tank & see what I can find.

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #4  
chevy, I'm not sure how the 2210 is set up, but check to see if there is a fuel transfer pump in the fuel tank that pumps fuel from the tank to the injector pump. I had a similar problem with my JD455. I thought it was something plugging the fuel line in the tank. I took the fuel lines loose and tried blowing air back thru them.The return line was clear and you could hear air bubbling in the fuel tank when I blew air into it. The feed line I could not get air thru it and suspected it was plugged. I later found out that the reason I could not blow air thru it was because there is a transfer pump in the fuel tank that would not let the air thru. I then checked to see if the transfer pump would run by turning on the key. It was not.It turned out to be a loose fuse that was periodically shutting off the in tank fuel pump and causing the engine to loose power or quit. The way I figured it out was I put power to the transfer pump and it ran with the external power,but would not run with the tractor running. So I knew it the problem was with the pump not getting power. My first thought was wiring,but I was able to trace it to the loose fuse. I solved the problem by putting a cable tie around the fuse and fuse holder to keep the fuse tight in the holder. Hope that helps! Sorry to be so long on the description. Sincerely, Dirt

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I do not know what the problem was, but the tractor is runnung fine now. While I was responding to Billy's question here & finding my fuel jug, the 2210 was setting outside in the sun. As I was getting ready to drain the tank I noticed that the sun had melted the ice from the hood. Before draining the tank I decided to try running the the tractor one more time. It ran fine for over 2 hours & I was able to get my driveway & several of my neighbors driveways done. I suspect there was some ice in the tank & the sun warmed the tank up enough to melt it. I wish I had a heated barn & shop.

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #6  
Chevy,

Glad you got it going. I don't know if this is your circumstance, but another poster had some fuel problems and ended up draining his tank and finding a lot of crap inside. He cleaned the tank and has had no more problems that I know of. He even went to one of those filtering funnels after his experience.

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #7  
Chevy...I have a 2210 and had exactly the same problem last year. I run the winter formula Power Service in my diesel fuel as soon as October hits. When I went to the local Tractor Supply to talk to them about my problem, a truck driver overheard my dilemma and told me to mix kerosene at a 20% ratio with the diesel (1 gal kerosene to 4 gal diesel in my 5 gal tank.)
I bought a one gallon kerosene can, filled it up, dumped it in my tank and topped off with my diesel. Got it running (just barely) and after 10 minutes it ran like a champ. No more problems all winter.
Last week I had to go back out to snow blow at the camp. The 2210 started great out in the shed. As soon as I got 50 feet down the driveway, it lost all power and was running as barely 1000 rpm, even at full throttle. I recognized the symptom, went back to the shed where I kept a gallon of kerosene, dumped it in and again, after about 10 minutes of sputtering at an idle, the 2210 ran great!
Again, I religiously put the correct, winter formula Power Service in my diesel as I approach winter, but without the kerosene mixture, I still have fuel line freezing.
Hope this helps.
...Dave
(PS...the truck driver, and everyone I have talked to since, says a kerosene mixture at 20% won't ever harm the engine.)

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #8  
Sounds like a little wax gelling on the fuel filter. It happened to me on my 1972 Benz at -22 F in Vermont. The car started fine, went down the road 2 or 3 miles and died. Let sit a couple minutes. Restarted. Went another 2 or 3 miles and died. Let sit a couple minutes. Restarted, and then it was fine. The fuel filter on a Benz is right next to the engine. The engine heat eventually got it warm enough to where the wax didn't plug the filter.

Tiny amounts of wax is all it takes, and the wax melt point is probably gonna be up around 70-100 F in diesel.

Kerosene is a good dissolver of wax, as is a little bit of heat. What is needed is a little duct to take warm air from the radiator to your fuel filter, or add some kerosene, like Dave did.

I'm quite familiar with wax. Worked in the lube oil industry for 31 years, and my main specialty was dewaxing plants. We used propane and MEK/toluene or MEK/MIBK solvents to give fluidity to the wax/oil mix until we took it done to 0 to -30 F to filter out the solid wax on big pressure or vacuum filters. Guess what we used as the filter hot wash medium in the propane dewaxing plants? KEROSENE.

Ralph

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #9  
Had the same thing happen with my 2210 changed the filter, checked the fuel line from tank to filter. Still was stalling out. It ended up being dirt or gum from a bad batch of diesel blocking the little hole in the shut off valve to the filter. Once I cleared the hole out no more stalling.

/ 2210 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! #10  
I think some use # 2 fuel left over from fall. Off road should be #1 this time of year. Does that make sence? Also, I know of a diesel pickup owner in Alaska that mixes up to 30% karosine in his diesel when it gets to 40 below or so. But when it's warm it will hurt the engine.