2185 dying, again

/ 2185 dying, again #1  

fugo

Tractor
cub cadet 2185
Back in 1995 I bought a CC2185HDS new. It fell into disuse for a few years with less than 100 hrs use and had been kept undercover. I had it refurbished in August of this year. New factory carb, filters, fuel lines, etc. Was working great, running about once a week since then until this week. Now, it'll start only if I pour a bit of gas or Gumout directly into the carb, but it won't keep going. It sputters out and dies in about 10 seconds. This is what it was doing before the new carb was installed. Would a week of non-use allow the carb to get gummed up again? Do you have any recommendations on what to look for? Could it just be bad gas? What would I do about that? I'm a little frustrated at this point. I'm handy, but not a mechanic. I don't want to fork out for a new carb if I can help it; they're expensive! Any recommendations?

/ 2185 dying, again #2  
I'd probably start by checking the float adjustment and seeing if I had free flow from the tank into the carb.

/ 2185 dying, again #3  
It appears that your engine has either a mechanical or pulse type fuel pump. Check to see if it is working.

Richard

/ 2185 dying, again #4  
carbs are full or tiny jets, thats the principle they work on, have air flow across a venturi which creates a pressure difference, thus sucking up fuel and the jet size determines the fuel delivery, and the jets get blocked and therefore dont work, get yoursenl a diagram of the arb and some carby cleaner and some fine wire and get to cleaning the jets. big chance it could get it going.