20W non detergent motor oil vs Iso 46 or 68

/ 20W non detergent motor oil vs Iso 46 or 68 #1  

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
I got a small Walk behind mower with Hydro transmission. It calls for 20w or 20-50 wt non detergent motor oil. My thought was to use ISO 46 or 68 since the ISO is a real 20w hydraulic fluid and 20W non detergent is not sitting on anyones shelves.
Question:
Will this be OK?
Will the two fluids play nice together if I do not totally flush the system of the Motor oil? I was going to just turkey baster out the Reservoir and add the ISO.
The "Technician" at the Mower Manufacturer had no idea what ISO46 was sooooo, no help there.

/ 20W non detergent motor oil vs Iso 46 or 68 #2  
   / 20W non detergent motor oil vs Iso 46 or 68
The ISO 46 is about a 15/20 sae weight oil and the 68 is a 20w oil (both charts don't line up perfectly). The question would be if the ISO oil is going to lube any gears in the transmission enough.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/293360-mix-hydraulic-fluids.html
Thanks for that link..I understand a bit better. Hydro fluid was designed basically to turn a pump where my scenario has a gearbox involved. May not be enough Lubrication for gears. Hmm, I have a Cub Cadet where the Pump and rear axle is the same lube... I wonder if that would fly. I really need to find what they call for and forget the whole deal before I hurt something. I wish all these tractor manufacturers did not make it all such a mystery when in reality there may be only very few different fluids..

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Deere 204L (A33526)
Deere 204L (A33526)
3 Row Stainless Steel Fertilizer Distributor (A33526)
3 Row Stainless...
2019 John Deere TX Gator (A33113)
2019 John Deere TX...
Bridgeport "J" Head Milling Machine (A33349)
Bridgeport "J"...
Landhonor Gas water pump (A32932)
Landhonor Gas...
Fertilizer Applicator (A33041)
Fertilizer...