2023 fire season

/ 2023 fire season #11  
Between the Russians blowing up the grain ships in Ukraine and the fires here, it's gonna be a tough winter for food I suspect. No issues here, so far. Just enough precip to keep things ok.

I see raw lumber prices are climbing again. Between the high interest rates and the building materials issues, that will put a crimp on any construction.

/ 2023 fire season
Oregon wildfire smoke this afternoon.

oregonsmoke-23-8-14.jpg

Bruce

/ 2023 fire season
Oregon smoke Tuesday, some going up into the Portland area.

oregonsmoke-23-8-15.jpg

Bruce

/ 2023 fire season #14  
Been extremely fortunate this year. We dried out early and still - no rain. Afternoon temps > 95F are the norm.

/ 2023 fire season #15  
In the last week - one large fire and several small ones. Two days ago it rained - 0.34". This certainly helped control those still burning. Many people lost it all in the Gray Rd fire. Burned right thru a small town about 15 miles NW of me. One small fire - <2 acres - just three miles north of me. Another five miles east of me. Both were identified and extinguished quickly.

Fire fighters are stretched thin as Suran Wrap here.

/ 2023 fire season #16  
As the grid is taxed some of the largest fires and biggest settlements are tied to Utilities.

California Utility had a record settlement and now Oregon and word has it the huge Texas fire utility caused...

/ 2023 fire season #17  
As the grid is taxed some of the largest fires and biggest settlements are tied to Utilities.

California Utility had a record settlement and now Oregon and word has it the huge Texas fire utility caused...
I read that as well. Interestingly, the left leaning media tried to put the blame on a political activist. I buy a utility issue more. All it takes is one spark and dry tinder to create a blaze that can get out of control in a sparsely populated area.

Never read what PG&E settled for. You know?

Years ago I was in Youngstown, Ohio and personally witnessed a high voltage transmission line short. It's quite a fire show, really scary. Kind of similar to a lightening bolt close to the ground that isn't over quick but continues for a minute or so until the wires melt and the noise it makes is scary too.

/ 2023 fire season #18  
   / 2023 fire season #19  
Hawaii fire 2023 claimed 100 lives
Lahaina Town on August 8, 2023. (1) Immediate and proximate cause: live-wire electric power lines placed on wooden poles which were blown down by strong winds, and ignited fields of parched, dry grasses near Lahaina Town.

/ 2023 fire season #20  
Hawaii fire 2023 claimed 100 lives
Lahaina Town on August 8, 2023. (1) Immediate and proximate cause: live-wire electric power lines placed on wooden poles which were blown down by strong winds, and ignited fields of parched, dry grasses near Lahaina Town.
Amy and I went to Hawaii about 15 years ago and spent a couple days in Lahina and it was a beautiful town before the fire. We ate lunch at a Denny's in town with no windows on the second floor of a building that was roasted. When I we saw the pictures of the devastation, one of the pictures was where the Denny's was at it was nothing but ashes. Very sad. Through my wife's membership in the Percheron Horse association, we got introduced to a couple that lived right above the town and they did carriage rides during special events and we got to ride their horses up in the volcano's, was a real hoot. They got burned out as well and lost most of their horses too. Bad deal and it will take decades to rebuild. Amy has been talking to them via email and we sent them a donation to help them out as well. People in Hawaii in general are very hospitable and friendly. Still have my Hilo-Hatties Hawaiian shirts.