2020 ground speed

/ 2020 ground speed #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
My 2020 has 16.9-30 tires on the rear. According to the tach, at 1500rpm the 'speedometer' indicates a bit more than 3 mph in 5th gear. Now I can walk 4 mph. And in 5th gear while mowing with the NH451 mower, the tractor is running along at what I would consider a good jog, certainly more than 4mph. Is there any way to determine how fast I'm actually moving other than timing it on a measured course, which may be the easiest way, considering.

/ 2020 ground speed #2  
Do you have any kind of GPS unit? Or a smart phone, which usually has GPS circuitry inside?

/ 2020 ground speed #3  
Here is the relevant portion of the owner's manual for my 2020...but the tire size is not what you have.
JD2020 travel speeds001.jpg

/ 2020 ground speed #4  
timing it on a measured course,

Yup.. Tape measure and stop watch would be quite accurate.
Pacing and second hand would be close enough too.

/ 2020 ground speed
I've got that chart in my 2020 book too, but it doesn't tell me anything. Strange thing is looking at my tach/speedo the one on the tractor, which is a replacement, says almost 7mph in 5th gear at 1500 rpm. 6th gear is 10+mph on the speedo. I was looking at tach/speedos on line so who knows what they are, as well as the one I've got.

What I just did was measure out .5 miles with the P/U. Drove the tractor over the same .5 mile in 5th gear. Takes 8 min 44 sec on the stop watch. Then drove back in 6th gear. Takes 5 min 58 sec. Now I'm trying to wrack my brain to figure out how to convert min/half mile into mph. I used to be good at math, but I've lost my mojo with the age.

I did figure if I'm moving 3mph and cutting 7' at a whack and it takes me 3 hours that's 7x3x5280 sq feet, divide that by 43500 or so and I get 2.5 acres mowed in 3 hours. I know the field is larger than that. It's about 8-10 acres. So 7mph may be about right for 5th gear because that is what I was using.

But if someone can steer me from 'min/half mile' into m/h that would be great.

/ 2020 ground speed #6  
I used to check my car speedometers using freeway mile markers at 60MPH. If I made 10 miles in 10 minutes, I figured it was pretty accurate. I don't think you can do that with a 2020 though.

/ 2020 ground speed
I just found the converter on line. Convert minutes per mile to miles per hour - speed converter
According to that my 8:44 min or 17:28 min/mile or 17.47 min in decimal is about 3.4mph. I just don't believe it somehow. The acreage doesn't add up with the mowing time unless I've made an error in that math.

Actually 3.4mph is what I had finally calculated, I just didn't believe it. Shoot I can walk 4mph easy and the tractor looks faster than that unless it's deceptive because I'm on this machine.

/ 2020 ground speed #8  
calculated 0.5 mile in 8 min 44 sec is 3.44 mph, so your table is pretty close.

You moved 0.5 mile in 8.73 minutes or 0.1455 hours.
Divide 0.5 by 0.1455 and you get 3.436 mph

Last edited:
   / 2020 ground speed
So what is the acreage cut calculation if I mow 3.4mph for 3 hours and cut 7' at a pass. I calculate 2.4 acres?

The NH451 mower instructions say it can move at 8mph. But there's no way I can move that fast on my hills and ground. I'm lucky to be in 5th gear. It's much more comfortable in 4th gear but in my South field I can get into 5th. North field is so hilly and so many trees and obstructions 4th gear is about all I can accommodate.

/ 2020 ground speed #10  
So what is the acreage cut calculation if I mow 3.4mph for 3 hours and cut 7' at a pass. I calculate 2.4 acres?

The NH451 mower instructions say it can move at 8mph. But there's no way I can move that fast on my hills and ground. I'm lucky to be in 5th gear. It's much more comfortable in 4th gear but in my South field I can get into 5th. North field is so hilly and so many trees and obstructions 4th gear is about all I can accommodate.
I get 8.65 acres