2016 5085e. What's your experience?

/ 2016 5085e. What's your experience? #1  

Bavarian

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 6430
I'm in the process of buying a 2016 5085e. The tractor has just under 1000 hours on it.

Is there anybody out there that has put some hours on one of those units?
How is the general performance? Issues with aftertreatment including DEF?

My main task will be feeding and handling bales and then some general work around the property including snow removal. Cold start capability is a must. I understand, that a funktioning block heater is crucial.

I test drove it on the dealer's lot and concentraded on the funktion of the brakes since some previous models in the E series had issues there. With the loader about two feet off the ground and in 4wd mode, it lifted the rear end when I stepped on the brakes. It passed.

/ 2016 5085e. What's your experience? #2  
I have a 2012 5083e. It's been a good tractor, so far. I think it has about 700-800 hours on it.
While it does not have after-treatment, my 2018 5090M does. Haven't had a single issue with it. I think JD got the Final Tier 4 stuff right.
Back to the e model. You have to understand what makes the e cheaper than the M.
12 speed transmission instead of the 16. The 3 ranges of the e are not synchronized, the 4 ranges of the M are. But the forward-reverse shuttle works the same.
Lower hydraulic flow than the M series.
Nylon tires instead of radials.
Standard hydraulic controls instead of electro-hydraulic controls.
The standard seat is the cheapest thing JD could find. 90 degree metal bucket, (padded) but with no adjustment for the seat back angle. I bought a new air-ride swivel seat for my 5085M and put the M seat in the e. Much better.

/ 2016 5085e. What's your experience?
Thanks for the reply. I understand the differences between the e and m model.
The performance of your 5090 would be more interesting since it's the new version of the 85 hp model.

/ 2016 5085e. What's your experience? #4  
Can't believe that nobody else has said a word. I know that there are some 5085e owners here. :confused3:

/ 2016 5085e. What's your experience? #5  
I’ve got a 2015 5085E open station 240hrs Fine Machine.

Someone want to buy it :laughing: