2013 Hay Season

/ 2013 Hay Season
mowing%20hay%20meadow%203.jpgmowing%20hay%20meadow1.jpgmowing%20hay%20meadow2.jpg

Last edited:
   / 2013 Hay Season #282  
well our 5 by 6 bales weigh 1800 to 2000lbs.an they are so tight you cant put your fingers up to your knuckles.

/ 2013 Hay Season #283  
bigbull338
As I previously stated "all things equal" it's impossible to require twice as many 4X5 bales to equal the same amt of hay of half the number of 5X6 bales.
4X5 3.142 X 2.5 X 2.5 X 4= 78.55 X 2= 157.1 cu ft
5X6 3.142 X 3 X 3 X 5 =141.389 cu ft
Close but no CIGAR
Jim

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 113
   / 2013 Hay Season #284  
txjim im not aruging with you im just stating what i know from a lifetime of messing with round bales an for the last 12yrs of having custom balers bale our hay.you see around here they run those little 4 by 5 an 4 by 6 balers,so they can make a crapp load of money custom baling hay.our cows can eat 10 or 12 4 by 6 bales a week.where as they eat 6 or 7 5 by 6 bales a week.

/ 2013 Hay Season
Baling for myself,I didn't have the tractor HP or the money for a new 5x6 baler. We do feed more 5x4's then did when got someone to bale the 5x6 but with that said,they did charge more and had a minimum per acre,so it comes out to about the same cost,using whatever baler. $6210 would have been my cost is baling this year. Its going to take 5yrs for the hay equipment to pay for itself. Would have cost me $10,855 to buy the 167bales. I would have to set down and gather everything up to be able to break down what I have in cost per bale,leave that closer to tax time.

/ 2013 Hay Season #287  
bigbull338
There's a difference between arguing and stating facts. Read my replies as I think I stated in all my replies ""ALL THINGS EQUAL". I've stated in the past that I think information stated on a discussion board should be as CORRECT as possible. You prove my statements incorrect and I'll be the first one to APOLIGIZE. I've been in the custom hay baling business since '87 and all one needs to do to change on JD rd baler to alter bale weight is turn a knob,make bales a couple inches different height or bale at a different moisture %. This ain't my first rodeo as I've been using,demonstrating & selling large rd balers since they were introduced which is in the late 70's(I think). If you want to have FUN get on an open station tractor and demonstrate a Hawk-Bilt rd bundler that only rolled the hay on the ground.

Again I'll state I'm trying not to argue but state facts. After all these forums are called "Discussion forums"

/ 2013 Hay Season #288  
foreman Etexas
I know 5X6 bales can hold a lot more hay than a 4X5. Most people that sell rd bales prefer the 4 wide bales because they're easier to transport. Most truckers don't want to haul 5 wide rd bales.

/ 2013 Hay Season
Yeah I don't like hauling them either,hard to seealot hanging off each side of trailer,these 4s fit perfect make for a lot better haul. When feeding I make the same amount of trips with tractor now,cause I pick two sideXside with loader and haul one on back,thinking about getting a double for the back also but 3 bales last them couple day and another good thing about it having another bale out keeps the fighting down.

/ 2013 Hay Season #290  
dont worry im enjoying this hay discussion.an im not upset.foremen our baling costs last year was close to $6000 for 1 cutting.an it wouldve been the same this year.if we are going to throw that much money away its best to go back to baling our own hay.an thats why we went back to it.an we get it baled when we are ready.