2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar?

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
A guy at work has a 2013 caddy ats with the navigation package. has to be accessed thru onstar ( he says ). He has 'heard' there is a USB plug in device ( or some other 'chip' he called it' ) that lets you use the navigation system without onstar subscription. Perhaps just a map set or something? I'm not a GM guy so am asking here. true false? or?

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #2  
That doesn't sound right at all, unless the ATS is really different. The nav system isn't tied to Onstar - at least on the XTS, and I can't believe it would be on his ATS.

This new CUE system on the new Cadillacs is really a very different user interface from what he is used to on past caddilacs. I wonder if he is just a bit confused how to get the Nav app to the foreground or something.

On the XTS, they included an IPad and it had some stuff loaded to help understand and guide through stuff. I don't know if that is the same for the ATS. However, there is also a separate user's manual for the CUE system (separate from the normal owner's manual) that would be where he wants to go for help. It's kind of buried in with the other manuals, so he may not have noticed there is its own book just for the CUE.

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #3  
Oh, I should have mentioned that it does use something that uses one of the USB plugs, but it was just to update the maps of the Nav system. I didn't actually perform this myself, so I'm not sure exactly what the process was. I'm afraid I'm not being much help....:eek:

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #4  
There are any number of navigation options available. I doubt any of those would provide access to the OnStar system.

Given the "big brother" aspects of OnStar, almost anything would be a better alternative. Whether you subscribe or not - OnStar can monitor your conversations, track your location, lock/unlock your doors and disable your vehicle. In short, any service you get through a subscription is always available to OnStar. Unfortunately, millions of folks seem to have no problem carelessly risking their freedom. There needs to be a law that provides some consumer mechanism to make a vehicle undetectable by OnStar. And, for the hopelessly indoctrinated, protecting your freedom is a duty, not an act of paranoia.

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #5  
OK, got a bit more info from the wife. Cadillac sent us an email to let us know there was updated maps, that's how we knew. (The car definitely came with Nav working, so the map data is already there, it just can be updated if you want.)

The upgrade was $179, and was a USB thing. You can DIY, or just take it in to the dealer and they'll do it for you.

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #6  
There are any number of navigation options available. I doubt any of those would provide access to the OnStar system.

Given the "big brother" aspects of OnStar, almost anything would be a better alternative. Whether you subscribe or not - OnStar can monitor your conversations, track your location, lock/unlock your doors and disable your vehicle. In short, any service you get through a subscription is always available to OnStar. Unfortunately, millions of folks seem to have no problem carelessly risking their freedom. There needs to be a law that provides some consumer mechanism to make a vehicle undetectable by OnStar. And, for the hopelessly indoctrinated, protecting your freedom is a duty, not an act of paranoia.

Well, I don't doubt it, but they say that's true of our cell phones and computers and iPads....so not sure they are getting much more out of us by having Onstar.

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar?
so.. bottom line, can you use the nav system ( even if only old non updated maps , without a onstar subscription. is it just some touch screen option on the cars user interface screen?

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #8  
so.. bottom line, can you use the nav system ( even if only old non updated maps , without a onstar subscription. is it just some touch screen option on the cars user interface screen?

So, my understanding is it will work just fine, but you won't be able to use it by voice, would have to interface with it through your CUE, which is no big deal. I can't swear to it, as we do have Onstar, but looking at info here it seems it should work no problem without Onstar.

I looked online, and it looks like the Nav system may be an option on the ATS? If he knows he has it, I believe it should work without an Onstar subscription.

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar? #9  
Looking a little more, the Nav system is an option. It appears the Nav icon will be there, but when you launch it, it will just show a fancy compass if you don't have the option. :(

I see there is some enterprising folks that have figured out how to add it.
Cadillac ATS/SRX/XTS CUE Navigation system

/ 2013 cadillac ATS navigation system. USB add on vs onstar?
Hmm, that might be the upgrade option he heard of. I'll ask him if all he gas is the compas after pressing the icon. If so, ill pass this web page info to him

Thanks