2011 GT 2000 Transmission Question

/ 2011 GT 2000 Transmission Question #1  

Leo Rabon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2000
I just bought a new 2011 GT 2000 Cub Garden Tractor. The operator's manual states to change the transmission fluid and filter (Hydro Grear Transmission with BDU-10 pump) after a 10 hour break in period (and then every 50 hours after that). It looks pretty simple (drain plug and external filter). Draining the fluid and changing the filter is no big deal for me as I have performormed "general maintenance" on my mowers for may years (no hydros). Even though the cost of the replacement fluid is expensive, I prefer to go ahead and make the Hydro fluid and filter change (careful not to overfill the fluid).
My question is that I have read so much about air bubbles and a need to purge the system after the change. Will air bubbles be a problem in this Hydro and if so, the manual did not state any purging procedures. If a purging procedure is needed, what are the exact steps I need to follow. Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a shop manual for the 2011 GT2000?

Thanks
Leo

/ 2011 GT 2000 Transmission Question #2  
Leo, purging is as simple as; 1) With the engine off, pull the bypass rod out that's back by the hitch plate. 2) Hop on the machine, start the engine and work the pedals forward/reverse/forward/reverse a couple of times. 3) Stop engine. Lift and push bypass rod back in. You're done.

There should be NO motion out of the machine (signifying your are truly in "bypass").

This will pass any gas that might have gotten into the hydrostatic drive.

I personally would not waste the cash on Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus when something like Shell Rotella-T 15w40 has proven to be a perfect alternative by many of us over the past ~6yrs now.