3-Point Hitch 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen #1  
Tractor
2011 Branson 4520R
Hello Branson people. I'm new to tractors and new here, and I have two 3-Point troubles:

1. The lift and lower lever doesn't have any effect. I do have the lowering valve open. The loader and backhoe (when attached) work normally, so I would think low fluid is not the problem (although I haven't topped it up yet).

2. I can't get the PTO to run, likely because the PTO lever is stuck in the middle position which looks like disengaged judging from the icon on the sticker. I have the dial switch set to Independent, and the PTO light comes on.

I've pasted a few photos below. i'd be most appreciative of any ideas.

DSC07705.jpg
DSC07709.jpg
DSC07702.jpg

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen #2  
Hello, Welcome to TBN.

When you remove the backhoe, you have to connect those two hoses (hanging in the second picture) together to complete the circuit, otherwise the pump is deadheading and pushing the fluid through the relief valve which will heat it very fast and cause issues. Once you get the hoses connected, the 3 pt should work fine.

As far as the PTO lever, probably the previous owner didn't use it much or at all, and the linkage if rusted together. You may need to go underneath and either spray some WD40 or something similar or take the linkage apart, clean and lubricate.

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen
ptsg, thank you!! I was wondering about that. So the backhoe is open-center.

[Do I need a new thread for this question?] If I got a hydraulic auger with a skid-steer mount for the loader, and I need another function to power the auger, should I use the backhoe supply?

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen #4  
Yes entire tractor hydraulic system is indeed open center.

You can't really use those hoses directly, unless you the hoses to feed a valve and then use that valve for the auger.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but looks like you don't have any remotes on the rear, otherwise you could use those.

What you need is a third function valve for the loader. While it can get a bit costly, it will allow you to run the auger, or a grapple if you eventually get one with a simple press of two buttons on the joystick of the loader, which makes very handy and easy to use.

The WR Long kits seems to be a very popular choice and even dealers use those on the new tractors they sell.

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen #5  
I like the WR long third function setup more than the factory Branson one.

They both work well, but wr uses a rocker switch and you can open/close grapple while using all the loader functions. Branson uses a push button that diverts fluid from a loader function, usually bucket curl/dump.

*Edited post to explain why.

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen #6  
As an added comment when those two hoses are not connected you most likely are dead heading your hydraulic system and forcing all hydraulic flow through the relief valve,
which will over heat your fluid and create unnessary pressure in your system.

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen
Thanks to you all! The 3pt lift and lower works great now!

Regarding the third function on the loader, here's a photo of the existing valve pack. I'll contact WR Long for a kit.

DSC07715.jpg

/ 2011 Branson 4520R: Lift function dead; PTO shifter frozen #8  
Welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that if you use a hydraulic (vs PTO) auger that is designed for a skidsteer, your hydraulic flow (about 11.1 GPM on your tractor) will be at the low end of the range required for most augers. Make sure you also check the hydraulic pressure requirements for any auger you are considering purchasing. I believe your tractor will generate about 2600 psi from the factory. Many skidsteer augers require 3000 psi.