2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please!

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I need to change the brakes on the above truck.

Both Front and Back.

I purchased new rotors and pads so am ready to go.

BUT... I need to insure that before I do, I have the correct Spindle Nut Socket. I've read this is an issue for a lot of people, and don't want to pull things apart only to find that I miss-chose. Therefore, can someone please post a pic of the correct Spindle Nut Socket for this truck?

I've been to AutoZone, O'Reilly, and Advanced Auto... they cannot tell me which version I need.

I'd rather not purchase an entire 'kit' with all possibilities, however, I'd rather do that than pull a wheel off only to find that I had to begin running around looking for a different Socket.

Also, I'm looking for a good solid Repair Manual for this truck. MotorCraft.com has time limited access, which might work, but seems expensive. I'd rather just purchase a good, understandable, and detailed book if possible.

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #2  
I usually buy Haynes brand books for auto repairs. Way better than the Chiltons brand for repairs found here in my area.
Used to be able to buy the service manual from the dealers also. Would assume you still can but not sure since so much of their stuff is digital now. If you are able to see the mechanics and watch you will see the mechanics standing at the computer or printing off a few pages. Bit more pricy though.
Not a ford owner so not able to help you on the socket.

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #3  
I have one, I do remember it is a Powerbuilt brand, bought at Advance Auto Parts years ago. I also remember breaking it, it is NOT made for use with an impact gun. I also know my other hub nut socket for my chevy Dana 60 works, same "drive teeth", just doesnt have the centering stud that goes in the axle tube, makes little difference in use. We also have one at work, will try to find info for you.

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #4  
I was under the impression that one of the reason no-one can tell you which one you need is because Ford used so many different brake and hub assemblies. Ran into the same thing with my 03 F150, they needed to pull it apart to figure it out which rotors it needed. Even with the 2wd, there was a lot of variation, bearings in rotor or separate hub, etc. etc.

I think if you want to be sure, go ahead and get the kit. Or maybe pull it apart enough to post a picture...?

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #5  
I thought Autozone had free tool rental?

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #6  
You just have to know WHICH ONE first...:D

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #7  
The hub socket will not be your problem...the snap ring will be. You need a very good set of snap ring pliers to get that thing off.

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please! #8  
Ive messed with a few of these trucks... The front brakes shouldn't be too difficult. No special tools needed. Remove caliper and caliper bracket (likely 21mm head bolts hold bracket to knuckle), remove dually hub adaptor (also 21mm or 13/16" wrench) and rotor comes right off.

Rear on a dually is a little more fun.

Remove tires, remove caliper/bracket. Remove axle from hub, remove ratcheting lock nut, pull hub/rotor assembly off axle spindle. Brace yourself, its heavy, and messy. Axle lube oil will still be in the inner bearing. Rotor is bolted to the back of the hub. Unbolt old rotor, bolt on new. If you want to replace axle hub seals, now is the time. Put that heavy ba$t@rd back on the spindle, and tighten the lock nut to specs, and back it off to specs. (I "think" its tighten to 140 ft/lbs, back off 10 clicks for used bearings, 4 clicks for new, you should conferm that info) The rest is reassembly, axles have orings, no silicone sealant needed.

I actually need to check mine, think I have a rear bearing going bad. I'll post pictures if I can, when I have it apart.

/ 2006 F350 4x4 DRW 6.0L - need pic of correct spindle nut socket please!
Hmmm...

Maybe I'll just do the front and go ahead and have someone else do the back.

I'll take the wheels off and see.