2006 F250 Truck for sale

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
Found a local 2006 F250 Lariat Supercab 4x4 truck for sale. Haven't looked at truck yet but considering.
Truck has 112k miles, 6.0 PS turbo diesel, 6 spd manual, leather heated seats, 3.73 ratio, new tires for $11k
GCWR is 23,000, Conventional trlr. rating 12,500
What problems should I look for. I've read a few stories on the problems with a 6.0 PSTD.
Thanks,

Attachments

• 2006 f250.jpg
    2006 f250.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 2006 F250 diesel 112k.jpg
    2006 F250 diesel 112k.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 166
   / 2006 F250 Truck for sale #2  
I have a 2006 F350. It's been a great truck. The rear brake calipers can load up and stick from road salt. Other than that, no issues. However, I have the V-8. Id be careful with that 6.0 diesel.

Last edited:
   / 2006 F250 Truck for sale #3  
6L are hit or miss. I have that exact truck but a F350 with an auto. Not a single issue.

As for the hit or miss 6L. If it's had APR head studs installed, coolant change, and a EGR delete you will be good to go. Of course chipped trucks tend to be abused.

Chris

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale #5  
I'd run away unless you have a buddy that's a 6.0 expert.

or learn to work on it yourself. lots of info out there and the fixes are documented. chris is right they are hit or miss

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale #6  
Why roll the dice unless you're going into it thinking its going to need some work to get it reliable, and at what cost? If you know nothing about the 6.0, either do your due diligence now or pay for it later. He's kinda low on blue book for something with only 112k on it.

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale #7  
Wow,

everytime, when I´m surfing used car websides overthere, I´m wondering about the low prices for the trucvks in general, as it is a Diesel, with appr. 180000 km on it (we own a VW Passat Gas with appr. 400.000 km,230.000 miles) I would not mind to buy it. Under 9000 €, 8 years old, 14.000 miles/year..for US that seems to be nothing (Mrs. makes appr. 16000/year in Germany) Man, that´s awfully cheap an low mileaged.
If the Diesel injection, especially the injector pump, didn´t cause any probs, I guess the rest of the mechanic can be fixed with a Hammer an wrench and a screwdriver.
No matter if You want to buy it or not, if it is nearby it would be worth to have a look.

I would not mind about the statements here:
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Review | Edmunds.com
as gas is cheap in the US, it woulde make no sense to buy a Diesel, so some mechanics, or Guys which believe to be one, don´t have any experience with fixing Diesel engines. In fact, if the gassers are much easier to fix, but we ran Diesels for several years, actually 2 Mercedes and 1 Fiat (Fix It All Tony) Scudo, before we owned Ford, Skoda (VW) and Peugeot with Diesel engine.
Some guy in the link is reporting about a "stuttering engine", but nothing about how it was fixed, my thought ist, that they haven´t changed the fuelfilter when they do maintenance. And when another one states " It's so bad it makes my kids cry"...maybe they cried cause of the fun, like the make a ride on a rollercoaster?

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale #8  
By 2006-2007 the 6.0 problems had been pretty much solved. The reputation was established already though. My biggest complaint has been corrosion resistance: 4 sets of brakes, now due for new shocks, oil pan rusted out, which is not an easy fix.
The motor was meant to be more powerful, fuel efficient and quiet than the 7.3 and still meet emissions... International got 325 hp & 550+ft lbs out of a 6.0 block, but people tuned them up hotter and head studs failed.
Definitely check the oil pan, brakes, shocks, frame condition.
Check for aftermarket add-ons... EGR delete, full flow transmission cooler & coolant bypass filter are favorable if done well... if there's a tuner, I'd be a little more hesitant to look at it as you can program them beyond the capabilities of the materials they are made of.

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale
Why roll the dice unless you're going into it thinking its going to need some work to get it reliable, and at what cost? If you know nothing about the 6.0, either do your due diligence now or pay for it later. He's kinda low on blue book for something with only 112k on it.

That's why I've asked this question. I know nothing about the 6.0 and his price is low. I see other 2006 F250/350's for sale for $15-20K that have had engine work done (studs, gaskets, EGR-D, etc.). I have Emailed the owner with questions but he has not replied. Maybe he knows it needs repairs and has set his price accordingly. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks to all who replied.

/ 2006 F250 Truck for sale #10  
If you want to know anything and everything about power stroke diesels lookup a site called powerstrokehelp.com. That guy knows power strokes inside and out.