2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters..

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just re-read my reply and wanted to make something clear. I don't mind paying $6 a quart, or even $10 quart if that's what is required for propper maintenance. But what I do mind, is wasting money, if regular $2 quart motor oil (without the CC sticker) will work just as good. Not trying to be cheap and take a chance with my machine, just trying to be smart with my money, and my machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

The 3000 series along with the 2500 and other models use the synthetic blend oil. Thankfully the interval for a full oil service is around 150 hrs or more. You would be hard pressed to find a subsitute especially a synthetic blend that holds up as well. When I change my tranny oil it looks as good as it was fresh out of the bottle. Conventional oil wont do that for you...Good luck

Ducati

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters..
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...The 3000 series along with the 2500 and other models use the synthetic blend oil. Thankfully the interval for a full oil service is around 150 hrs or more. You would be hard pressed to find a subsitute especially a synthetic blend that holds up as well. When I change my tranny oil it looks as good as it was fresh out of the bottle. Conventional oil wont do that for you...Good luck

Ducati )</font>

Right on. $6/qt for the CC trans oil really isn't all that bad. If you wanted to run your own 15w-50 oil, the only readily available, good oil to use would be mobil-1, which would run you anywhere from $4-$6 a quart anyway.
G/luck
Joel

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #13  
Thanks Ducati, sounds like CC brand might be the way to go for the trans oil. At 150hrs, that's about 2-3 years for me. Not all that bad really. I had my 3240 serviced at the dealer after about 10-15 hours but I don't think they changed the tranny oil, maybe just the filter? Now, I'm at about 180-190 hours, so I need to change it soon.

What oil do you run in the engine? And how often do you change it there? Just curious what other people are doing.

Thanks!
Chuck

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #14  
OK, CC Trans oil it is. Just trying to make a shopping list for some time this week. Need to get everything serviced this weekend for the season.

Thanks to the Wix link you posted, I have all of the filter numbers I need.

Any ideas on a motor oil for the Kohler?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...Any ideas on a motor oil for the Kohler? )</font>
For regular household/residential use, I would use the brand name 10w-30 of your choice. I personally like havoline, pennzoil, exxon, chevron, etc.. For commercial use, I'd go with a mobil-1 synthetic.
They're all good if you change'em regularly!
G/luck
Joel

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OK, CC Trans oil it is. Just trying to make a shopping list for some time this week. Need to get everything serviced this weekend for the season.

Thanks to the Wix link you posted, I have all of the filter numbers I need.

Any ideas on a motor oil for the Kohler? )</font>

You can shop around for the best price you can find for the sythetic blend oil. I would change the tranny Oil soon
I use the Cub blend for the tranny and Mobil 1 for the Kohler (depending on season) 5-30 to 10-30 weight range.....I like
using Mobil 1 its only two quarts....

Ducati

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #17  
Cool, sounds like I have my shopping list now! Looks like it will be an oil changing weekend for me, cub motor and tranny oils, Honda engine on my power washer, my truck is due (again!!!) as is my wife's car, and my daughter just informed me her car was last done 4500 miles ago! On top of that I wanted to change the gear oil in my Yanmar tiller this weekend as well. Looks like I'll be hauling out the used oil in 55 gallon drums this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #18  
The hydro oil in the new 3000 series definitely isn't plain old motor oil. I paid around $32 at the dealer for a gallon of the synthetic hydro oil. The dealer said it gave much smoother operation than the older Hy-Tran which I used in a 1450. The reddish color of the Hy-tran would lead me to believe that it was more like automatic transmission oil than motor oil. I do have some PH3600 filters on hand since that's what the Onan generator in my RV uses. I have plenty of clearance for it but don't know if it's necessary since the PH3614 already increases the capacity over the original. The 3235 maintenance schedule is a little odd. It recommends the hydro filter be changed at 50 hours and every 50 hours after that. It recommends the trans oil be changed at 150 hours and every 100 hours after that. My old 1450 had a recommendation to change the hydro filter every 100 hours and the only time I changed the oil in 1100 hours was when I removed the drive to replace a leaking seal.

Bob B.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The hydro oil in the new 3000 series definitely isn't plain old motor oil. I paid around $32 at the dealer for a gallon of the synthetic hydro oil. The dealer said it gave much smoother operation than the older Hy-Tran which I used in a 1450. The reddish color of the Hy-tran would lead me to believe that it was more like automatic transmission oil than motor oil.... )</font>

So the transaxle oil in your 3K series is red in color? The 2005's use clear/motor oil color trans oil. Like I say, all the new 2005, 2K and 3K have hydro-gear hydrostatic drives on them. Hydro-gear almost exclusively uses 50wt motor oils. Some of the pre 2005 2 & 3K series cubs had peerless hydro units (not sure which model years). Peerless may use an ATF looking trans oil, not sure. Never owned one. More viscous motor oils are typically used when the hydro drive & differential share the same lube, like most any lawn or garden tractor these days. Tuff-torq units (JD, simplicity, others) use 10w-30.
G/luck
Joel

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #20  
Just checked my manual and my 3240 uses "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus", part number 737-3120 Quart and 737-3121 gallon. Wonder if that is the same stuff the new ones use?

Regardless, I'm just going to run the CC stuff in mine to be safe. Not worth taking a chance to save a couple of bucks on this one. Maybe I'll go with non-CC filters though more for convenience. The trans fluid will only need changed about every two years on mine at less than 50 hours a year.

Thanks for the tips, and again sorry to jump in this thread tiltled 2042 & 2500 with my 3240 questions /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif