2004 chevy 2500 6.0L

/ 2004 chevy 2500 6.0L #41  
That's certainly a valid perspective but there are plenty of 90s era Toyota trucks (for example) running around with 250+k miles and not rotting away. My 97 Land Cruiser isn't quite 30 years but I fully expect it to last beyond my lifetime. Shoot, my 77 Land Cruiser is 45 years old and even with the rust it does have I plan on leaving it to my 10 year old daughter who loves to wrench on it with me. Which is good b/c I don't suppose there will be many mechanics around in 20 years who'll know how to wrench on it. Parts availability.... that's a different story and one even the OP should consider. I had to replace the radiator in my 8.1 Suburban and I found the only GM/AC Delco OE radiator available for it in Mississippi. Since I was in there I replaced the water pump and apparently it's discontinued. Thankfully I found one on the shelf at a small GM dealer in SW Virginia and they agreed to ship it to me. Obviously the LQ4/LQ9 is an LS-based engine so there's plenty of quality aftermarket support.
Not sure that's entirely true up here. TONS, and I mean TONS of Toyota trucks got brand new frames under warranty up here due to rust. Back then I'd say they were regarded as the most rusty truck brand up here. Every state puts different stuff down and probably most use different stuff in different parts of the state. I would have had to fluid film the engine compartment on mine and i'm betting that would have been a bit of a smoky mess.... The road spray goes everywhere. i rotted a power steering pump tank through long before the pump ever thought of going bad. Also the power steering cooler and that's up pretty high. also factor in that i still drive some dirt roads, and all of the paved roads look like dirt roads for several months of the year. my new truck is less than 2 years old and I've sandblasted a bunch of the coating off of the step bars on my truck already. I'm certainly not as diligent as some when it comes to rust prevention, but I'm either driving or working most of the time, and a little rust ends up being a cost of doing business.

/ 2004 chevy 2500 6.0L #42  
That is true, Toyota did recall first gen Tacomas for frame rot. I think Toyota is still paying for dealer applied anti-rust goo for Tacomas in the northeast. The last time I applied WoolWax I sprayed it all over the under carriage and suspension. I didn't even think about the lower half of the engine bay but it'd probably be a good idea. Just don't apply it prior to any work you need to do on the truck. It sucks getting it all over your clothes and arms. And it does stink when it burns off the exhaust.