2002 TC 40 transmission heat

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat #1  

jkerkj

Tractor
2002 new holland tc40
After using the tractor for a long period of time the transmission gets extremely hot. its a 12/12 shuttle shift.
what could be causing this?

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat #2  
Is the trans fluid level good?

When was the last time the fluid was changed?

My TC40D is a hydro; I write the fluid change hours and date on the filters when I install them.

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat
5 years on fluid. fluid still looks clean . it was getting hot before i changed it last time. just got a filter to change it again and try a different oil.

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat #4  
What oil did you put in it?

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat #5  
So I am going to describe a situation I had with a Kubota hydro a while back that was causing the tractor to overheat. One of the spools in the loader was going out/damaged and it let oil bypass internally, it was not causing any functional issues with the loader, but the friction of constant high pressure seepage was causing the oil to get crazy hot. the hydro oil heat exchanger in front of the radiator was hitting 200 degrees and not allowing the engine radiator to do it's job. I found the issue by using a thermal camera and looked for hot spots. I took it into the shop and they confirmed the issue was in the loader spool. I assume this could happen with the rear spool and any other spool on the machine. Unfortunately I did not diagnose the issue fast enough and the oil was burnt pretty bad by the time I finally figured it out and got it into the shop for repairs.

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat #6  
My TC40 is a hydro; I forgot to mention above, that I blow out the the radiator AND the trans cooler regularly. Especially when field mowing, they both get dust and weed debris buildup over time.

I don't know if the OP tractor has that cooler by the battery since their tractor is manual/shuttle trans. Worth checking though.

On the Hydro trans, it's 300 hours on the fluid/filter. Have changed mine twice; it's almost due again.

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat
So I am going to describe a situation I had with a Kubota hydro a while back that was causing the tractor to overheat. One of the spools in the loader was going out/damaged and it let oil bypass internally, it was not causing any functional issues with the loader, but the friction of constant high pressure seepage was causing the oil to get crazy hot. the hydro oil heat exchanger in front of the radiator was hitting 200 degrees and not allowing the engine radiator to do it's job. I found the issue by using a thermal camera and looked for hot spots. I took it into the shop and they confirmed the issue was in the loader spool. I assume this could happen with the rear spool and any other spool on the machine. Unfortunately I did not diagnose the issue fast enough and the oil was burnt pretty bad by the time I finally figured it out and got it into the shop for repairs.
i was thinking it could be something like this, just wasn't sure how to track it down.

/ 2002 TC 40 transmission heat #10  
After using the tractor for a long period of time the transmission gets extremely hot. its a 12/12 shuttle shift.
what could be causing this?
What are you using the tractor for these long periods?