2001 Tahoe AC compressor pump OUT... tips on replacement?

/ 2001 Tahoe AC compressor pump OUT... tips on replacement? #11  
We "Parts Changers" are professionals that have to stand behind our work. We eat it when our repair fails. It is not selling something un-needed but providing the customer with assurance of a proper and lasting repair and protecting our customer base by not having recalls. The true trade definition of parts changers is "those who cannot diagnose and just keep changing parts till they get lucky". Techs who can diagnose, spend a lot of their own time and money steeping themselves in refrigeration and air flow theory and dynamics. Such is laden with physics, chemistry, heat theory, and mathematics. We used to say, "you are not a professional until after at least 5 years practicing the art beyond basic training". the apprenticeship for Union AC&R technicians is 5 years.

A system open to atmosphere or operating in a vacuum due to low refrigerant can allow a lot of moisture absorbing by the drier. You have no way to detect or measure the amount. Also, the dryer/receiver collects any metal or other particles resulting from compressor failure. Purging with nitrogen or refrigerant does not always move those particles as the velocity is pretty low. If a dryer gets contaminated with moisture it takes more than an hour on the vacuum pump to make it as dry as new. Purging with refrigerant helps some but the contact time is short and is a violation of the refrigerant handling law. Do you want to pay for $125/hr labor or a minor part?

This dialog is not to debunk DIY stabs at this subject but to defend our trade and honor. I DIY a lot of trade stuff, not trained in, and get by using a lot of ingenuity and common mechanical sense. I have failures too.

Ron

I suggest that you go back to class and learn about GM orifice tube systems.
"Compressor parts" cannot get past the orifice. It should always be changed, line flushed.
And you want to replace the receiver/dryer because it is there, not because there is a test to see if it is bad.
Common practice is to replace the R/D not because it is bad but because it is there. Parts changer.
I'm done with this thread! The OP can replace any and all parts the "Experts deem necessary".
I will continue to follow the GM recommendations.

/ 2001 Tahoe AC compressor pump OUT... tips on replacement? #12  
My limited and hard learned experience is that darn orfice device better be replaced every time. Mostly Dodge or Chrysler and some Chevy work. The rest of it I guess one can debate. Do the most you can with the budget you have.