2 wheel tractor options ?

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #11  
What ever snow blower unit we get, it's important to us that the snow blower still has the capability to blow snow even when the forward movement of the unit has stopped.

============================================================================

The first thing you should do is look at Consumer Reports to read about how they test walk behind snow blowers and how they test them.

They soak wood sawdust/shavings in ten cubic foot volumes in an actual ten cubic foot wheel barrow to the point where they are a solid mass creating the next closest thing to a heavy snow pack and dump it on their test area to see how far they throw the simulated snow pack.

I would tell you to also look at the new Yamaha snow blowers at one of the Canadian Yamaha outdoor power equipment dealers across the border as the new track drive Yamaha snow blowers will cost you less money in the purchase cost ONLY based on price as they are very powerful machines even in its smallest model of the three units offered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI

None of the walk behinds will continue to blow snow when they are stopped with the current yard equipment safety regulations for their operation in Canada or the United States.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Yamaha snowblower owners in Canada are "absolutely rabid in happiness" when it comes to the new models and the track drive systems and how well they operate in all their conditions. The units are heavy just like the Berta 2 stage snow blower attachments and stay on the ground and do not suffer from "climb the snow pile itus" and they cut right through snow piles like the Berta two stage units.

The YT24EJ is $2,699.00 Canadian Loonies+tax and VAT less sales discount if available and the YS1028J is $4,299.00 Canadian Loonies+tax and VAT. The YS1028J has a completely enclosed engine compartment.

Neither of the Yamaha snow blower models offered has separate steering clutches or steering brakes but are easy to steer while the tracks are in motion as the entire weight of the snow thrower is moving while the cross auger is raised upward by the hydraulic lift to improve its turning ability.

The Honda GX gas engines will have a tendency to freeze up the control cables and then become difficult to operate as the cables and linkages become frozen. One of the forum members used scrap aluminum to cover the honda engine on his BCS with the BCS single stage snow thrower to prevent snow and ice building up on the engine linkages and cable connections on the BCS unit he has. He also added weights to the snow throwers cross auger housing to keep it from riding up on the snow piles as the single stage snow caster attachments are lighter in weight than the two stage Berta snow casters.

In my saying this, dollar for dollar the two Yamaha units will have a lower first cost and are dedicated snow removal only" machines.

If you have a secondary use for the two wheel tractor in your plans you should also examine that but as I explained if all your going to do is move snow a walk behind snow caster is the best way to do this and Consumer Reports also says this as well.

The 2 wheel tractor snow casters use all gear drive and the 2 Yamaha models now use an electomagnetic drive system for the impeller and cross auger.

The exchange rate for the american dollar has more buying power compared to the Canadian Loony and you will save money as your US dollar will go farther there.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ?
============================================================================

The first thing you should do is look at Consumer Reports to read about how they test walk behind snow blowers and how they test them.

They soak wood sawdust/shavings in ten cubic foot volumes in an actual ten cubic foot wheel barrow to the point where they are a solid mass creating the next closest thing to a heavy snow pack and dump it on their test area to see how far they throw the simulated snow pack.

I would tell you to also look at the new Yamaha snow blowers at one of the Canadian Yamaha outdoor power equipment dealers across the border as the new track drive Yamaha snow blowers will cost you less money in the purchase cost ONLY based on price as they are very powerful machines even in its smallest model of the three units offered.

FYI

None of the walk behinds will continue to blow snow when they are stopped with the current yard equipment safety regulations for their operation in Canada or the United States.
The New Yamaha snowblower owners in Canada are "absolutely rabid in happiness" when it comes to the new models and the track drive systems and how well they operate in all their conditions. The units are heavy just like the Berta 2 stage snow blower attachments and stay on the ground and do not suffer from "climb the snow pile itus" and they cut right through snow piles like the Berta two stage units.

The YT24EJ is $2,699.00 Canadian Loonies+tax and VAT less sales discount if available and the YS1028J is $4,299.00 Canadian Loonies+tax and VAT. The YS1028J has a completely enclosed engine compartment.

Neither of the Yamaha snow blower models offered has separate steering clutches or steering brakes but are easy to steer while the tracks are in motion as the entire weight of the snow thrower is moving while the cross auger is raised upward by the hydraulic lift to improve its turning ability.

The Honda GX gas engines will have a tendency to freeze up the control cables and then become difficult to operate as the cables and linkages become frozen. One of the forum members used scrap aluminum to cover the honda engine on his BCS with the BCS single stage snow thrower to prevent snow and ice building up on the engine linkages and cable connections on the BCS unit he has. He also added weights to the snow throwers cross auger housing to keep it from riding up on the snow piles as the single stage snow caster attachments are lighter in weight than the two stage Berta snow casters.

In my saying this, dollar for dollar the two Yamaha units will have a lower first cost and are dedicated snow removal only" machines.

If you have a secondary use for the two wheel tractor in your plans you should also examine that but as I explained if all your going to do is move snow a walk behind snow caster is the best way to do this and Consumer Reports also says this as well.

The 2 wheel tractor snow casters use all gear drive and the 2 Yamaha models now use an electomagnetic drive system for the impeller and cross auger.

The exchange rate for the american dollar has more buying power compared to the Canadian Loony and you will save money as your US dollar will go farther there.

Thank you for your input, this information is very helpful.
My wife and I plan to visit a Yamaha dealer in Canada later this year.

I'm a little confused with your statement:
"FYI
None of the walk behinds will continue to blow snow when they are stopped with the current yard equipment safety regulations for their operation in Canada or the United States."

I understand BCS and Gillo walk behind tractors with snow blower attachments stop blowing snow when forward tractor movement stops, but I do believe current walk behind snow blowers have the ability to still blow snow, when the forward movement has stopped.

With any walk behind snow blower I've owned in the past, there was a control to active the wheel movement of the snow blower (usually on the left side handle bar) and a control to engage the auger/impeller (usually on the right side handle bar).
As long as the auger/impeller control is held down (right side) , the wheel movement control (left side) can be released, so forward movement of the snow blower will stop, but the auger/impeller will still turn.
When snow blowing end of driveway snow banks, we very often would use stop and go forward motion, to allow the overloaded auger and impeller to clear.

I believe newer model walk behind snow blower's still operate this same way.

In the following video there is a new Honda walk behind snow blower and at time line 0:26, the auger and impeller has been engaged (right side control) and are turning, and there is no forward movement of the snowblower until time line 0:30, when the left side control is engaged.

Honda HSS1332ATD vs 1 inches of snow! - YouTube

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #13  
Save yourself a second trip unless your vacationing up yonder and look for the Yamaha Canada videos on youtube showcasing the 1028 walk behind.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #14  
I believe the design of the drivetrain is the reason the pto stops ( + or - a few regs) and I have asked a few times on the board just exactly how the pto functions in certain situations with no real answer by anyone. Basically as I understand it functions as my old basic compact tractor, main clutch engaged everything spins, disengage the main clutch everything stops, I believe they use to call it transmission drive pto, older gear drive tractors also had live pto, this feature allowed partial disengagement of the clutch to stop travel and allow the pto to keep spinning, full disengagement of the clutch stopped everything, and then there was/is independent pto where the pto operation was totally independent from the traction clutch and spun as long as the pto was engaged and was engine running. Most hydro compact tractors and current L+G equipment have some form of independent pto. Older Gravelys were independent pto they spin once the pto is engaged and engine running no matter what the traction is doing.

2 wheel "mules" (interesting description :) I like it) can turn into a considerable investment for sure and if your covering a fair sized area and/or your getting along in years they might not be the best tool for the tasks. Personally I have looked into replacing the old Gravely and its implements and it hit 10K quick, coupled along with the size of the area I have along with my advancing years for me personally its not the right tool. "Mules" are great tough machines but for me mowing tasks on 4 ac take them out of the picture as a main machine,,,, anymore I'll ride a 4 wheeled machine and use the "mule" for small areas not as easy to maneuver, or special infrequent tasks that would require a spendy implement for the 4 wheel machine I already have for the "mule".

Whatever you decide buy quality,, stay away from entry level machines often found at the big boxstores where price is king and quality usually takes the back seat no matter who puts their name on it.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #15  
I have asked a few times on the board just exactly how the pto functions in certain situations with no real answer by anyone.

I can only speak to the G110 from experience, but here's how it works. You have a single engagement lever to control the clutch, operated by the left hand. This engages both the transmission and PTO. But, you have two independent controls for each of those. The transmission can be in a drive mode, or neutral. The PTO can be set to "on" or "off. Any combination of drive speed and PTO works.

Mowing: transmission in gear and PTO on
Stump grinding: transmission in neutral and PTO on
Plowing: transmission in gear and PTO off

If you want to keep the PTO running and disengage the transmission, you CAN shift into neutral without releasing the hand lever. (you CAN also shift gears, with a bit of practice; I don't know if this is either permissible or prohibited by the manufacturer, but it's possible to do it nice and smooth just like on a motorcycle)

So for snow blowing, you can operate it like you would on a traditional dedicated machine that has one hand control for transmission, and a second hand control for PTO. It's definitely not as nice a setup though, especially if you do it frequently. It takes a bit of gymnastics and skill to be reaching over across the unit to manipulate the transmission lever while the unit is operating - and you also lose the ability to use the brakes while doing so which would be especially important on slopes.

Another thing to consider with the 2-wheel is that you're going to have a VERY long turning radius, because of how far out front the blower is compared to where the wheels are. It's also much heavier. With my snowblower, I can always man-handle it if I'm stuck somewhere or need to move it sideways, I can push/pull/tug/lift whatever. That's impossible with the tractor.

I think the 2-wheel tractor CAN function well as a snow blowing unit, but only in certain circumstances. For MOST use cases, a dedicated snow blower is the better option.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #16  
Thanks for the response. It sounds like they have the transmission drive PTO then.