2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas
All are VERY good inputs. As for the drawing, I made it very quickly in powerpoint, and it is all subject to change. I'm meeting with my builder tonight, and all of these points will be discussed.

This is a one and done job for me, gotta get it right the first time.

I am torn on the lift aspect, some very good points for both styles. More than likely, I will go with the 4 post lift. I do want it down on the end, since it is not my primary purpose for this shop. Thank you all for the input... I'm definitely learning!

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #12  
I haven't used a lift, but I'm getting tired of crawling around on the ground, so a lift is in the near future.

I have thought about situating an extra tall 4 post lift so it could be used as an elevator to a loft. It would mean careful use of the lift so the vehicle doesn't overhang the back.

I'll probably find a place for both a 2 post and the 4 post.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #13  
Two post raising a long wheelbase dually would be pretty sketchy. If I was doing it the concrete would be reinforced with rebar boxes and concrete deeper at bases. Hoist should be 12k and have two stabilizing tripod jacks one at each end to minimize teetering when truck is in the air. Or 4 post 12k limo length lift with two rolling jacks. Our shop had three two posts and two 4 posts. Crew long box had to be all the way forward on standard length and rear rolling jacks would not reach rear axle. For a dually unable to remove rear wheels as rear posts were in the way.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #14  
If you plan on using it to work on brakes, wheels and/or tires then a four post would be of little value to you.
I have a 9K two post and wish I had gone with a 12K lift. Lifting a 1 ton dual wheel tests the limits of a 9K.
If you go two post, be sure to have your cables and hydraulics overhead and not crossing the floor as transmission jacks would be frustrating.

Gregg
How do you come up with that notion?

A bridge jack or jack tray makes working on brakes, wheels, and tires an easy proposition and and you have a neat table at proper height for tools and parts(runway)

Last edited:
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #15  
I agree with Cliff, don't get one, get them both. It looks like you have plenty of room.

I've had a Bendpak 4 post 9K XLT for 10+ years and am very happy with it. I plan to add a 2 post lift this summer. They both have their pro's and con's.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas
Updated the floor plan to this... based on some very good input from you all. This is a rough model, will be working out the details with the builder this evening. I'm leaning towards a 12,000 pound 4 post lift, still "up in the air" about that.

Thanks again for the input!

McCall Shed.jpg

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #17  
Two post Rotary 10k, overhead cables, assymetrical, made in Indiana, here. Just installed (took them 3 hours - would've been two days for me) in Oct '23. Working great, for me. Make sure you're overhead is clear and your concrete is thicker than the minimum.
Nov 12 2023.jpg

Last edited:
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #18  
For the bathroom door I get both options, I guess it depend on for what and who will be using the shop, bathroom and office... If this is all personal used only I would think about it pretty good, you have a shower in there too so where will you keep you change of clothes? in the office ? ... one thing that is nice in a garage is a seal closet for dirty or off season clothes when going out mudding or hunting or what ever you do especially if you have a shower in there what about washer and dryer ? these are nice to have in a garage as well. Man doors take lots of wall room so that is the other consideration for choosing where the door should be.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #19  
I would go with the 4 post, especially a model that does not have to be anchored. With the ability to move it around to what ever position is needed to use it and then out of the way if needed would be an enormous advantage to me. Also not having to get down on the floor to set the lift arms, will become more valuable as you age especially after a knee replacement.

Added, with a portable 4 post you can always put in a 2 post if you find it may be handier for you later on and then you have both.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #20  
I would go with the 4 post, especially a model that does not have to be anchored. With the ability to move it around to what ever position is needed to use it and then out of the way if needed would be an enormous advantage to me. Also not having to get down on the floor to set the lift arms, will become more valuable as you age especially after a knee replacement.

Added, with a portable 4 post you can always put in a 2 post if you find it may be handier for you later on and then you have both.

Another thing I thought of.

Have never tried to lift my 55hp tractor with the 2 post.
I have a feeling it would be a sketchy operation. No problems with golf carts.

ps. agree on the difference in crawling under every rig to set lift points. Every year older it gets to be more of an exercise.