2 Kioti questions

/ 2 Kioti questions #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Howdy fellas! I have 2 questions. First some quick background. I have had my Kioti DK40SE HST open station since 2009. It currently has 1,300 hours, and has been an outstanding machine. I am looking to trade this coming fall, and I have been contemplating a cab machine. My DK40 is my 2nd tractor, my first one I got in 2003 and it was a New Holland TC29D. I have been a member of TBN since then. :)
Ok now for my 2 questions. 1) I am looking for input/advice about whether to get a cab tractor or another open station. I live in Southern Illinois, and in the summer it can get up to 100 deg, and in the winter it gets down into the single digits. I am on my tractor a lot, and I want to hear the pros and cons from guys who have owned both. I maintain 40 acres of both woods and fields.. and my logging trails in the woods are very wide so trees breaking windows won't be an issue. I like the NX model tractors, and I realize that a cab will probably cost me an extra 7 to 8k.. however a tractor is a long term investment for me, so price is not an issue. Question 2) I spoke with a local Kioti dealer today, and asked him to price an NX 4510 HST Cab tractor for me. If I remember right he quoted around 38k. But before he quoted me the price, he said that his dealership had received word from Kioti corporate to stop all sales on NX tractors.. and that he couldn't get any NX models anytime in the near future. I asked him why, and he said he didn't know. It was strange because he literally has a brand new NX on his lot right now, and he said he is not allowed to sell it. Has anyone else heard of the NX "stop all sales" ordeal? Maybe someone else can chime in on this. Thanks for the help guys! IF this is true about the NX tractors, I may have to settle with an NS or a DK.

/ 2 Kioti questions #2  
I know zip about Kioti's and don't need to know. What I do know is if your ground is wooded and you drive in the woods with a cab tractor, at some point you'll wish it was an open station because at some point you will do damage to the cab structure. The other issues with a cabin unit is, unlike a ROPS unit, you cannot 'fold the cab' to fit in any low clearance structure. I'm always keenly aware of overhead height obstructions with my cab tractor and much less concerned with the ROPS equipped open station one. You can whack a ROPS structure on some object and maybe chip the paint. You Whack the cab structure on some object and it will be in your wallet big time real quick.

Me, I have both but a different brand. Actually the identical models just one cab and one open station.

I do know that just the roof component on my cab tractor, replacement cost is 1300 bucks and that is JUST the roof panel and the door glass is a grand a side. JUST the glass. You start cranking up that level of cost due to damage incurred by operating in a wooded scenario, you'll wish you had an open station.

My 2 cents. Take it or disregard it, your choice.

/ 2 Kioti questions #3  
I own a Kioti cab tractor - not a big one, but a CK. I do field work only, but have some trees. My land is not lush and I have to mow regularly, so dust and airborne mulch is a big issue. Just for operator comfort, I would never own an open station tractor. That's my two cents worth.

/ 2 Kioti questions #4  
If I ever get another tractor, a cab would be right up there on the top of my list.

/ 2 Kioti questions #5  
Why I own 2 identical units, one cabbed and one not. Other reasons as well actually, both take the same engine oil, same transmission oil, same filters, same tires. I like standardizations' and not having to buy different items for diffrent tractors. Even take the same starting key.

/ 2 Kioti questions #6  
Kioti's are a quality machine as you already know, my experience with operating both cab and open I would go with the cab hands down. As mentioned, one must be extra alert when tractoring through a wooded area.

/ 2 Kioti questions #7  
Heat and dust, rain, cold and snow. Need I say more?

/ 2 Kioti questions #8  
Like I said early on, operating in any wooded area and not paying 100% close attention to what is overhead will cost you quickly and dearly. Why I have a cab and open station.

The other thing to keep in mind is the complexity of a cab unit. Lots more stuff to maintain and repair-replace, especially the climate control components and filter systems that have to be cleaned regularly.

I'd never consider taking my cabin unit it the woods.

Your choice, your wallet, not mine.

/ 2 Kioti questions #9  
Howdy fellas! I have 2 questions. First some quick background. I have had my Kioti DK40SE HST open station since 2009. It currently has 1,300 hours, and has been an outstanding machine. I am looking to trade this coming fall, and I have been contemplating a cab machine. My DK40 is my 2nd tractor, my first one I got in 2003 and it was a New Holland TC29D. I have been a member of TBN since then. :)
Ok now for my 2 questions. 1) I am looking for input/advice about whether to get a cab tractor or another open station. I live in Southern Illinois, and in the summer it can get up to 100 deg, and in the winter it gets down into the single digits. I am on my tractor a lot, and I want to hear the pros and cons from guys who have owned both. I maintain 40 acres of both woods and fields.. and my logging trails in the woods are very wide so trees breaking windows won't be an issue. I like the NX model tractors, and I realize that a cab will probably cost me an extra 7 to 8k.. however a tractor is a long term investment for me, so price is not an issue. Question 2) I spoke with a local Kioti dealer today, and asked him to price an NX 4510 HST Cab tractor for me. If I remember right he quoted around 38k. But before he quoted me the price, he said that his dealership had received word from Kioti corporate to stop all sales on NX tractors.. and that he couldn't get any NX models anytime in the near future. I asked him why, and he said he didn't know. It was strange because he literally has a brand new NX on his lot right now, and he said he is not allowed to sell it. Has anyone else heard of the NX "stop all sales" ordeal? Maybe someone else can chime in on this. Thanks for the help guys! IF this is true about the NX tractors, I may have to settle with an NS or a DK.
For your intended use and experience I would definitely recommend a cab unless you happen to be highly accident prone. Just need to be a little extra careful in the woods, you will love having cab,air,heat and radio.

/ 2 Kioti questions
Thanks fellas... I am sold on a cab. I have weighed the pros and cons, and I have over 3,000 total hours on open station machines, and I am ready to take the leap and try a cab. Like I mentioned above, my logging trails in my woods are cut wide. I maintain them with a pole saw, my cab won't ever get near any trees. I run a sawmill and have to go into the woods to get trees sometimes, but I never get off the trails. I have 150ft of log chain for that. :) Now my only concern is whether I will be able to get my hands on an NX or not. Like I said, supposedly all Kioti dealers are supposed to stop selling the NX line as of 2 days ago. That's what my local dealer told me. Makes no sense. I am gonna dig deeper. I have an LS dealer close to me. If Kioti won't sell me a tractor, I may jump to LS! We will see.