2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine #1  

Lem

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kabota RTV 500
I have a Bolens with 1980's I think Isuzu diesel with 1300 hrs. Great shape. Occasionally (Twice) lately it pumps oil out the top of the valve cover filter and runs down on the ground. I unscrewed the dip stick and it was overflowed to the ground. I changed the oil and filter and am keeping it monitored for over filling. Did not smell and diesel in the oil but that might be my trouble. Looking to you guys for help and the last time I did that you gave me the correct answer on a B275. The Isuzu starts and runs great with no smoking unless under a load with the normal. Thanks Tractor By Net.
ldc330@comcast.net
Lehman Carrico

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine #2  
I have a Bolens with 1980's I think Isuzu diesel with 1300 hrs. Great shape. Occasionally (Twice) lately it pumps oil out the top of the valve cover filter and runs down on the ground. I unscrewed the dip stick and it was overflowed to the ground. I changed the oil and filter and am keeping it monitored for over filling. Did not smell and diesel in the oil but that might be my trouble. Looking to you guys for help and the last time I did that you gave me the correct answer on a B275. The Isuzu starts and runs great with no smoking unless under a load with the normal. Thanks Tractor By Net.
ldc330@comcast.net
Lehman Carrico

Lem, I bought a TL2300 that had fuel in the oil. Have never seen it overflow from breather, but was getting excessive level in the sump. It turned out to be the transfer pump from tank to injector pump was leaking. If you have a similar pump on your tractor, it is an easy check. Pull it off and lightly pressurize the inlet side of the pump while blocking the outlet side so interior of pump has a little pressure in it. If it is bad, you will see bubbling around the cam shaft piston.

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine #3  
If it fills fast, it could be a blown seal in the hydraulic pump. Check hydraulic oil

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine
If it fills fast, it could be a blown seal in the hydraulic pump. Check hydraulic oil

Have used the tractor quite a bit after changing the oil and filter. The oil level is always on full and doesn't gain any at any time. The tractor does oil the top part of the engine real good and when it did run the oil out it did come out the top of the engine thru the cap on the valve cover and run down the side of the engine. Cannot add oil thru the cap in the top of the valve cover. Have to add it thru the Dip Stick. Strange, but thanks for the info that you gave me. Seems to be great now. Could a faulty oil filter have been the culprit? Thanks Len

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine #5  
Most engines have an oil pump that circulates the oil via passages and then there are return passages back from head to sump.
A probability is that your return passage(s) is(are) clogged possibly from sludge or other form of debris.

Pulling the valve cover should expose the passages which in turn could be cleared using a small bottle brush or even a length of soft wire.

That oil needs to run back freely to the sump in order to re circulate otherwise damage will result.

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine #6  
The filter wouldn't be the problem. I agree w/PILOON. It is probably sludged up. I hear this on the 2AA! & 2AB1 motors. Make sure you are using a diesel oil & change it or the filter more often to remove the sludge.

Have not seen a return from head to sump with valve cover off. Looked pretty good. However there is a small line on right side of the engine that seems to come from the head where it is attached and attach again at bottom of engine. Had it off and it is not stopped up.
On original startup within 9 min's of start up oil will start to form in the bracket under the breather cap. I shut it down for 3 minutes and it is good to go for the rest of the day. After the oil gets warm seems like it returns to the sump more freely and the problem goes away for the rest of the day. Oil is very clean and went to 195* thermostat and it burns cleaner. No smoke and has good power. Had a 170* thermostat in it and Kubota said it would burn much cleaner with the 195 thermostat. Returns sounds like to me. Just don't know where to look.

/ 2 cyl. Bolens with Isuzu engine #8  
there is a small line on right side of the engine that seems to come from the head where it is attached and attach again at bottom of engine. Had it off and it is not stopped up.
On original startup within 9 min's of start up oil will start to form in the bracket under the breather cap.
I'm pretty sure that external line is what delivers oil up to the valve gear at the top of the engine. It sounds ok if oil is getting up there.

The oil is supposed to dribble back down by gravity, through holes cast into the head. You need to poke around in the puddles of oil on top of the head to find those cast holes, then clean them.

Thanks, I will try to find them and open them up if I do. Have looked but probably not that hard. I will give it a going over as soon as the weather warms up. Got to be in the returns somehow. When the oil gets up to temp I have no problem and it happened between fall and spring. Good the fall before and in the spring it started acting up. lThanks California

100% right. Took the valve cover off yesterday and that is the case. Probably a 1/16'' and maybe a 1/4" in places. After the engine oil warms to temp that goes away and all is good. Thanks K7LN.