1st Welding Project - Bucket hooks

/ 1st Welding Project - Bucket hooks #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Hi,

I took a welding class in the spring, then started building my shed for the tractors and got side tracked as far as welding goes.

But today I got the welder out and added the hooks to the bucket that I had been wanting to add for some time. I also ended up making the top lip of the bucket stronger in the process.

I used a piece of 1/4 angle I had laying around. Ground off the rust and cut to length needed. I think it may be 2x2 angle, but did not measure it.

This is the first time I welded anything except scrap pieces. I am pretty satisfied with the end result. All things considered...

Amazes me that I could make anything happen after only taking a short community college stick welding class once per week, for ten weeks. I got the idea here at TBN. Haven't seen mention of people taking welding classes much recently...probably because of it being summer time.

Learning welding is something I should have done 30 years ago. Not that I "learned" it yet, but at least now I can stick two pieces of metal together.

If you ever thought you might like to learn to weld, I say do it now...don't wait so long like I did.

First shot, bucket before things started. Angle iron in picture. i had to "adjust" the angle to fit under the level indicator so it would be flush with the edge of the front lip...

Attachments

• 297814-1.JPG
    297814-1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,585
   / 1st Welding Project - Bucket hooks
I don't have a torch and could not bend that 1/4 inch steel with my hammer...so I drilled some holes and then it bent easily. This is the section that went under the level indicator...

Attachments

• 297815-2.JPG
    297815-2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,353
Dry fit of the angle before grinding off the paint where the welds will be made...

Attachments

• 297817-3.JPG
    297817-3.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,224
Angle tacked in place. Now ready to weld the back part...

Attachments

• 297818-4.JPG
    297818-4.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,238
Back half welded.

Kind of wish I had a MIG welder instead of stick. Took a number of rods to get this length done...

Attachments

• 297819-5.JPG
    297819-5.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,225
Just about finished.

Root pass on hooks was with 6010 [not pretty] and cover passes were with 6013. The other welding on the angle was with 6013.

Attachments

• 297822-6.JPG
    297822-6.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,199
Didn't have any primer so I used Rustoleum [sp?] white. Hope that work ok...no nothing about paint... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 297823-7.JPG
    297823-7.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,085
Chrysler orange engine paint is not too bad a match for Kubota orange...at least on a loader bucket... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sure wish I could remember which dollar store I bought that spray can at... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 297824-8.JPG
    297824-8.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,082
A final shot...ended up taking me about five hours start to finish.

Kind of fun doing it...kept thinking it was probably an hours work for someone who knew what he was doing... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't hesitate to take that welding class if you have been thinking about doing so...well worth the time if you are interested!

Attachments

• 297827-9.JPG
    297827-9.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,234
PS...boy am I going to be /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif if I try to lift something and a hook falls off... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe I should have waited and tried them out before posting these pictures...