1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #141  
One thing to consider is if the tractor needs DEF. Somewhere around 28 to 35 HP is where tractors start requiring DEF, and DEF is a real pain to deal with. A friend of mine just bought a Kubota tractor and later discovered that if it had 1-2 less HP it would not have needed a DEF system.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #142  
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kioti ck3520SE - 27 miles away, only been selling Kioti for 8 months.

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
i have run and owned yannmar kabota kioti i always look at resale .and price and parts availability .the kioti has came a long ways . and built stronger the kabota now . and used ..unless one hell of a deal .. used gose for a wild prices now .

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #143  
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
Even my John Deere Dealer said small Kubotas are good. You will wish you had gotten a 50 hp if it fits where you need to use it.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #144  

I’ve owned a ck3510 for 4 years with about 600 hours on it. Great machine

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #145  

Wow this is going to turn into a Chevy vs Ford post , lol .
Kubota long term will probably be the best they make them to last and I had a friend who owned a dealership and visted the factory and could not believe how well they are built , unfortunately I don’t have that kind of money so I bought a mahindra after 20 years one tire , one battery , and one pto seal , it’s also a really good tractor but less expensive . Good luck which ever way you go .

Larry

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #146  
One thing to consider is if the tractor needs DEF. Somewhere around 28 to 35 HP is where tractors start requiring DEF, and DEF is a real pain to deal with. A friend of mine just bought a Kubota tractor and later discovered that if it had 1-2 less HP it would not have needed a DEF system.
You mean DPF. Yes, a 25hp unit won’t have it. You are just much more limited in HP and weight at that point

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #147  
We have a Kioti CK4010SE HST and are insanely pleased with it. It gets 33hp to the pto in the hydrostatic model which is a lot for it's size. We did that to be able to run a good size wood chipper which it does very well. It lifts the whole 1600 lbs+ on the loader that it's rated to. We move good size down trees and ibc totes full of firewood around with it. Carefully.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #148  
All I can do is imagine the humidity where you're at, and my gut is screaming for you to get a cab. However, I suspect you're not a hairy, overweight man from the northeast, and perhaps you're more climatized to that than I would be.

I'd be swimming in the seat.
Not sure I'd want a cab since he's planning on doing stuff in the woods. I have a cab for flat open ground, and a open for woods. I lost (more like broke off 😆🤪😉) enough mirrors, windshield wipers, etc on my cab with them pesky limbs that come out of nowhere and bite your tractor. Just a couple cents worth.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #149  
In my area there are mostly Deere dealers. I went with them partially because the dealer network is here and I happen to like the tractor when I sat on it. I looked at the 3 series off and on for a couple years. When I bought I decided to go with the 4 series. Lots of things I either couldn't do with the smaller tractor or would have taken much longer. I can lift round bales and run a wider mower. As far as used I had a very used tractor before finally buying this one. The used tractor was in need of repair more often that I used it. Many times I would start to mow or disk, and I would spend half the day going to get parts and working on it. Sometimes I never got to do the work. It might rain before I had time and then all bets were off. With the tractor I bought new I have it serviced about once a year and never have issues. If you get used don't get too used and make sure you have parts available.

I also think there are many good tractors. It comes down to the dealer network and service. I considered New Holland, Branson, Kubota, and Massey Ferguson. Those were dealers closest to me. Although, Branson was well over an hour away. That and the fact that it jsut didn't feel comfortable for some reason when I sat on it are what steered me away. I almost bit on a package deal from Branson, but I decided the dealer was way too far away. What I noticed was that features varied. Prices were not that different from what I recall for comparable features. This was over 5 years ago.

Last edited:
   / 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #150  
Barely used is the ticket. I try to buy cars and tractors just after the new has worn off and the seller takes a hit. It only works if you can find what you want when you want it...