1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #111  
In a shuttle or powershift the foot clutch is optional for driving. It is used when starting the tractor, to gradually engage the PTO, and also if you get hung up somehow and need to take the load off the drive train.

The whole point of a shuttle shift is that you don't have to clutch to go from forward to reverse - moving the fingertip lever actuates a hydraulic clutch pack next to the gear selected. It happens so fast it seems instantaneous, so normally you do it when moving slowly or you let off on the throttle for an instant when you shuttle to avoid being thrown forward or back in the seat. With a few minutes practice it becomes very smooth.
Power reverser type transmissions don't require the clutch to forward/reverse
Shuttle shifts do require the clutch to forward/reverse or to shift gears.
I have an 8 forward 8 reverse synchronized shuttle, the clutch is required to forward/reverse

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #112  
Power reverser type transmissions don't require the clutch to forward/reverse
Shuttle shifts do require the clutch to forward/reverse or to shift gears.
I have an 8 forward 8 reverse synchronized shuttle, the clutch is required to forward/reverse

Well, it isn't the same for all.

I've never heard of a shuttle that needs clutching. It would seem to kind of defeat the purpose. But there you are, and you own one called by Kioti? as a "syncronized shuttle"...and it needs clutching. That doesn't make Kioti's requirement for clutching universal.
My wife's YM336 Yanmar worked differently, and our old 3020 JD worked differently too (picture below), and our newer JD works differently from both. It doesn't even have a foot clutch. Yet all of those were shuttle and power shift combos.

The confusion is one we've seen before. There just doesn't seem to be a standard terminology for that type of geared transmission using a hydraulically powered shifter and clutch. That problem with how to describe something happens a lot in mechanics. Kubota calls their version the "Glide Shift". It seems to depend a lot on how a manufacturer - or their advertising translators - decide to describe the features of their own version of power/shuttle shifters.

What's more important to me is how how a particuar system works in a particular brand or model. Simply calling it a name doesn't mean much when different brands use the same wording to mean different things. In the posts in this thread I was comparing YM model Yanmars from generations 40 years apart to help the OP understand what to expect from that sort of transmission. It wouldn't surprise me if there were different models in between that worked differently.
rScotty

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 7.54.10 PM.png

Last edited:
   / 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #113  
My Kubota L3010 GST (34hp) is a Glide Shift Transmission. I can change gears and direction without clutching
My New Holland T2310 (40hp) is a shuttle transmission. I have to push in the clutch to change gears or direction.

It would be good if the OP could play in a dirt pile at the dealership with the hydro and shuttle.

I still think it's a coin toss

Smaller hydro - easier to use, better for loader work

Larger shuttle - Heavier, more powerful, more capable for tasks other than loader work

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #114  
My Kubota L3010 GST (34hp) is a Glide Shift Transmission. I can change gears and direction without clutching
My New Holland T2310 (40hp) is a shuttle transmission. I have to push in the clutch to change gears or direction.

It would be good if the OP could play in a dirt pile at the dealership with the hydro and shuttle.

I still think it's a coin toss

Smaller hydro - easier to use, better for loader work

Larger shuttle - Heavier, more powerful, more capable for tasks other than loader work
If you had to choose one, which would it be?

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #115  
1706240804883.jpeg
34hp hydro

1706240871994.jpeg
40hp shuttle

80% of my use is rough cut mowing, road maintenance, snow blowing, etc.

20% is loader work

Love my 40hp shuttle

Like i said probably a coin toss for the OP,

That YM342 is a lot of bang for the buck, and I'd be tempted, but the OP would be thrilled with either.

(edit update) If you would have asked me before I got my CUT, I would have told you I would do 50% loader work. In actuality, it is much less than that.

Last edited:
   / 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #116  
When I read the original post I thought this post could have wriiten by me, my 110 acre hunting land is 150 miles from my home. I have a 1.2 acre food plot to mow the clover and to replant it about every third year. I also have 3 acres of trails through the woods to mow. Also have a 1/4 mile rock road to maintain. I have a 5 ft brush cutter, a 9 shank cultivator, a rear 6 ft blade, a 6 foot rock rake and a carryall. I actually did all my work with a 1960's gas Ford 2000 until a few years ago. The Ford handled everything easily except the cultivator. A few years ago i got a used Kubota L3400 Xtra power (35.5 HP) HST with a FEL and I do not think I could have made a better choice. The HST is a nice setup with a FEL. Good Luck!

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #117  
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kioti ck3520SE - 27 miles away, only been selling Kioti for 8 months.

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
go kubota or a massey...they have more dealers around and have great service...35 hp is ok around the house but 40 to 45 and plus will take more punishment on the hunting brush hogging...(my experience)..

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #118  
View attachment 848677 34hp hydro

View attachment 848679 40hp shuttle

80% of my use is rough cut mowing, road maintenance, snow blowing, etc.

20% is loader work

Love my 40hp shuttle

Like i said probably a coin toss for the OP,

That YM342 is a lot of bang for the buck, and I'd be tempted, but the OP would be thrilled with either.

(edit update) If you would have asked me before I got my CUT, I would have told you I would do 50% loader work. In actuality, it is much less than that.
I just mix the two and have a larger hydro. I don't have a lot of open space, so shuttle is less useful. I got the turbo version to adjust for power drop at the PTO.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #119  
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kioti ck3520SE - 27 miles away, only been selling Kioti for 8 months.

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
I've owned Ford, Kubota, David Brown (Case) in the past, but I have been well-pleased with my JD 2038R, with 72" mid-mount auto-connect drive-over mower deck and FEL. Fortunate to have a decent dealer nearby. May not be heavy enough for your needs; the 3 series or higher may be a better fit. I've found the old saying, "nothing runs like a Deere", to be true, at least in my experience. Cost-wise, that's another story. As others have said, more HP is better than not enough. As for cab, they are great, but not sure how practical working in trees. My two cents.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #120  
Did you consider John Deere?