1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons
If you have that kind of money to spend and have a good dealer nearby, Yanmar is the real gold standard. Kubota has more dealers, but if all else was equal in this size range, I'd buy the Yanmar with the proprietary transmission.
The proprietary transmissions are only available on the YM359 models and the YT347 and YT359 so unfortunately none of the models I would need would have that.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #102  
I've had both hydro and shuttle tractors. Prefer Hydro for loader work, prefer shuttle for mowing, ground engaged, 3pt work.
I've had 2 shuttle shift tractors and the newest HST I find easier to use for nearly every task. Probably the easiest for first time owner too as it operates like a ride on mower

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #103  
HST is superior for loader work and rear blade type work when you do a lot of back and forth.. Though you can get by just fine with a shuttle transmission. The trick with the shuttle is to use your gas pedal to compensate when going back and forth.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #104  
That’s what I like to hear!
That being said, majority of my work would just be around the house and in the woods. I don’t think I may ever really be using it for field work or at least not in the next 5 years. Still would pick the shuttle?
For me, it's close to being a coin toss.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #105  
As of now, I’m leaning VERY heavily towards the YM342 over the YT235. The 342 is about $1k cheaper and already has the suspension seat, 1 rear remote, and extendable lower link arms, not to mention the 342 is about 1,000 lbs heavier and the loader can lift nearly double that of the YT235. For an “economy” tractor, seems like it has a good bit of bells and whistles.

My main concern is that the 342 has a shuttle shift. I’ve only driven a HST tractor in the past (only twice so still not much experience). If I’m doing 50/50 loader and 3 pt work, will the synchronized shuttle shift be a disadvantage?? I plan to go drive both but can’t get out there during tax season.
I will say that I do know how to drive manual vehicles and I actually like to do so. Just don’t know how precise I can get with the shuttle shift trying to unload something out the back of a truck or trailer.
I had a old style YM Yanmar with their old YM "power shift" .... It required a full stop to shift ranges, but it had a three forward speeds and one reverse within any single range. It sounds like the new YMs are 8 speeds...with forward and reverse in each speed. That is a lot better configuration because for loader use you often want the same forward and reverse gear ratio. Shifting on the old YM was done with one finger and without lifting your hand from the steering wheel. Make sure the new one is as well. One finger shuttle shift on the steering wheel is the way to go. Much better than having the shuttle on the dash or by your side. Clutching the shuttle was done on the same control by simply "feathering" the lever - that is another feature that we hope they retained. With a shuttleshift, the foot throttle is used to control speed in gears as well as the power. That works well. Shuttle is a huge advantage over their traditional manual shift tractors. A lot of our work was 3pt attachments with blades and mower and tillers. The shuttle is the perfect transmission for that. For loader work it is nice and works a lot faster than a manual shift.

Now we have a newer Kubota with HST. For strictly loader work - for any type of delicate back and forth work I had thought our older YM power/shuttle was perfection ... until I tried the HST. The HST is simply better for loader work. Keep in mind I've never used an I-MHT tranny. It could be better yet.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a shuttle for loader work and it is a thousand percent better than doing loader work with the old gear shift and foot clutch ... it is just that the HST is better at the same game. But HST has downsides... I'll point out a few.
Downside are that the HST does soak up noticibly more power, and there is also this oddity with HST that there are times when lugging hard when a HST has to reduce throttle because doing reducing throttle also lowers the HST gearing.. Study up if you want to know why.

So it is possible sometimes that you can stall a HST until you stop and shift to a lower range, where in the same situation even a dufus like me can get a downshift a shuttle or gear type to just power on through while adding throttle. And HST has a distinct hydraulic whine that gears and shuttles do not. Plus HST required a more active operator when doing constant load at a constant speed work like plowing or tilling.
HST is best when you are constantly making small changes and are in the midrange of power use...which is where you are and should be for most of the time.

Sounds like you have time to make a choice. Get down there and drive them some. That will also let the dealer get to realize you are serious and you might be surprised at what he can come up with.

Try a similare size Kubota with the HST PLUS tranny if you get a chance. It has a comination of HST and Shuttle advantage. Basically like a 6 speed HST.

The difference in PTO power you mentioned on the Yanmars seems real, and my thought is it reflects the difference in the motors. If in doubt, I would believe the PTO specs over engine HP specs.

rScotty

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #106  
That’s what I like to hear!
That being said, majority of my work would just be around the house and in the woods. I don’t think I may ever really be using it for field work or at least not in the next 5 years. Still would pick the shuttle?
Another 2 cents worth, if the shuttle is clutch less for fwd/reverse, it’ll be fine. Ones I’ve used you have to throttle up/down when shifting. Running a clutch all day gets tiring.
HST is more user friendly, select range then fwd or reverse. Hst does need a “cruise control” option to make mowing, plowing, etc more user friendly. Without the “cruise control” you have to keep your foot on the fwd/reverse to keep moving.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #107  
I’m in the market for a 35 HP tractor and I’ve done a lot of research as a first time buyer.

The tractor will mostly being used for dirt work around the house (2 flat acres) and lifting items with the FEL. I also have 100 acres of hunting property to brush hog roads/shooting lanes, and plant about 5 acres of food plots.

Dealers seem to be a hot topic when it comes to tractors so I’ve narrowed it down to these, their time selling the tractors and distance from me.

YT235 - 2 dealers (1 has been selling Yanmar for 8 years and is 25 miles away, they only sale yanmar products). Other one is 40 miles away, didn’t get details on selling time

Kioti ck3520SE - 27 miles away, only been selling Kioti for 8 months.

Kubota L3302 (or L3902) - 2 dealerships within 20 miles. Been selling as long as I can remember.

Anyone have any experiences with these tractors, part availability, etc? I’d be doing as much repair work myself as possible.
I think you answered your own question... Kubota. I buy my tractors and hay tools entirely based on dealer reputation and distance from me to them. For me that is Kubota. I'd say for you as well.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #108  
Most times, buying on price alone, in the end will leave you with the 'morning after' taste in your mouth simply because the low ball dealer will also be a low ball service entity.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons
Another 2 cents worth, if the shuttle is clutch less for fwd/reverse, it’ll be fine. Ones I’ve used you have to throttle up/down when shifting. Running a clutch all day gets tiring.
HST is more user friendly, select range then fwd or reverse. Hst does need a “cruise control” option to make mowing, plowing, etc more user friendly. Without the “cruise control” you have to keep your foot on the fwd/reverse to keep moving.
The only thing I see on the YM342 brochure is that the main clutch is “Dry single” and the main shifter and reverser are synchronized.

I’m assuming this means you need to clutch between changing any gears/directions and to shift between High and Low requires the tractor to be stopped while everything else can be done on the move

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #110  
The only thing I see on the YM342 brochure is that the main clutch is “Dry single” and the main shifter and reverser are synchronized.

I’m assuming this means you need to clutch between changing any gears/directions and to shift between High and Low requires the tractor to be stopped while everything else can be done on the move
In a shuttle or powershift the foot clutch is optional for driving. It is used when starting the tractor, to gradually engage the PTO, and also if you get hung up somehow and need to take the load off the drive train.

The whole point of a shuttle shift is that you don't have to clutch to go from forward to reverse - moving the fingertip lever actuates a hydraulic clutch pack next to the gear selected. It happens so fast it seems instantaneous, so normally you do it when moving slowly or you let off on the throttle for an instant when you shuttle to avoid being thrown forward or back in the seat. With a few minutes practice it becomes very smooth.

A power shift does the same thing in the same way using internal hydraulic clutches, but it is going from one ratio to the another instead of forward and back.

Traditionally, Yanmar and others have combined both functions. So you can go F/R in the same gear or do that while also changing to a different ratio. Smoothly.... and without stopping or using the foot clutch.

Again traditionally, in all tractor transmissions - including HST - you do have to completely stop when you change ranges. It wouldn't surprise me if the new YM series Yanmars have two ranges - high & low - with four forward and four reverse speeds in each range. That is close to how the old YM series power shift shuttle worked, but better.

rScotty