1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ?

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ? #11  
I didn't know that abbreviation either for thank you. learn something new everyday. I abbreviate and use tks. But Ty is kid doll brand name to me. ;)

And Ty doesn't show up as "thank you" in the Urban Directory.

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ? #12  
Ty is a abbreviation for thank you. Surpirsed you did not know that. In other words, I try to be courteous to people who are willing to answer questions.
Why would you use text messages short cuts on this forum ?

QSL

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ? #13  
I just bought this mower last week for $600. It has 880 hrs on it. It starts up easy , idles great { even at the lowest idle setting} but about every 15 minutes it puts out a huge puff of blue smoke....but it does not do this when it is initially started.

Would this definitely be a symptom of bad valve seals or is there something else that would cause this issue ? I figure its not bad rings, cause that should make it smoke constantly ?
Recently went through the same thing, the JD dealership did a pressure test, trace of coolant leaking into one of the cylinders so, head gasket. While they were in there, I had them replace the original vinyl cam with a metal one, replaced the water pump and thermostat and all was well until 2 months after that, while bouncing around here in New Hampshire..... I started getting surging, I found the very small wiring harness to the fuel solenoid was somehow damaged, the ground wire sheared off at the sealed connector, positive barely hanging on. Took 3-4 weeks to get that $40.00 part. All fixed now, no smoke, running smooth, original JD Dealership invoice cha-ching.... $2,200 later.

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ?
Recently went through the same thing, the JD dealership did a pressure test, trace of coolant leaking into one of the cylinders so, head gasket. While they were in there, I had them replace the original vinyl cam with a metal one, replaced the water pump and thermostat and all was well until 2 months after that, while bouncing around here in New Hampshire..... I started getting surging, I found the very small wiring harness to the fuel solenoid was somehow damaged, the ground wire sheared off at the sealed connector, positive barely hanging on. Took 3-4 weeks to get that $40.00 part. All fixed now, no smoke, running smooth, original JD Dealership invoice cha-ching.... $2,200 later.
My 2 valve seals came in today. I will put them on tommorrow and see if it stops the periodic thick blue smoke issue. They were only $15 so if that dont fix the issue, im not out alot of money.

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ? #15  
Been a member here since 2003 which is a long time to be on any forum. Don't do 'shorthand' stuff. Never have.

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ?
Put the new valve seals on, adjusted both valves to .006" ...

mower ran for about 40 minutes without any puffs of blue smoke...and then all of a sudden the blue smoke happened.

so its not the valve seals.

I spoke to a John Deere technician and he told me, that if it is periodic blue smoke , that should indicate a gas/ carb issue.

He said try and find a air/vacuum leak somehwere. I will also see if there is any oil residue/buildup under the air filter . Appreciate all the help. THANK YOU :}

880 is getting close to the projected useful life of the motor (1200 hours). May last longer or may not depending.

I think your occasional 'puff' is related to the blowby oil that collects in the carb air intake where the crankcase breather pipe feeds into the carb intake (Kawasaki's are noted for that) and it's just a fact of life with a used engine that probably is developing excessive blowby. I have one that also does the same thing. I ignore it. I guess you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the intake horn and let it run out on the engine...

I will see if this is my problem. If I wanted to drill a small hole into the bottom of the intake horn , is that area to be drilled made of plastic or aluminum ?

/ 1996 -John Deere F525 - Kawasaki 17 HP gas engine- Puts out periodic puffs of blue smoke ? #18  
Aluminum, die cast.

880 is getting close to the projected useful life of the motor (1200 hours). May last longer or may not depending.

I think your occasional 'puff' is related to the blowby oil that collects in the carb air intake where the crankcase breather pipe feeds into the carb intake (Kawasaki's are noted for that) and it's just a fact of life with a used engine that probably is developing excessive blowby. I have one that also does the same thing. I ignore it. I guess you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the intake horn and let it run out on the engine...

Looks like you were 100% correct. I had a small amount of motor oil sitting at the bottom of the aluminum housing , right where it enters into the carberator.

I can go ahead and drill a small hole in the bottom of the aluminum housing, to allow the small amout of oil that collects there every 20 minutes of runtime, to just seep out of the housing , which will stop it from entering the carb/ combustion chamber and creating the plume of blue smoke ? If a drill a hole there, wont that create a vacuum issue ?

Could that small amount of oil that deposits there after 20 minutes of runtime, be caused by the breather reed valve , having to large of a gap, and needing to be replaced { inside the valve box}

The oil isnt there now, because I wiped it up with a small paper towel. The breather tube also has some oil on it.

Attachments

• oill.jpg
    oill.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Could this breather reed valve on the left side { labeled C} , be the reason why oil is getting into carb ? It supposed to be .040-.080" gap , but maybe if it is worn out and the gap is to large, its letting oil thru and needs to be replaced ?

Attachments

• 2022-09-08 (1).png
    2022-09-08 (1).png
    739.1 KB · Views: 66