1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help

/ 1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help #1  

mucduc

Tractor
1993 John Deere 1070
Hey everyone,

First time posting, and need a little help with at least some terminology/ parts so I can search better. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about the 1070 and I think better search words would help.

Here's my problem, Yesterday while bush hogging, my tractor stalled and wouldn't start. Found that fuel solenoid was not engaging so I shoved a stick into the linkage to get it running so I could get to the house. (Ended up being a fuse)

But when I put it in gear, I have no power to the drive wheel. If I use my heel to engage the rear locker, it will move, and if it's in 4wd it will move in all gears. PTO turns just fine also. Just the drive wheel free spins. I don't remember hearing any odd noise when it happened and I don't hear anything coming from the wheel when the tractor is moving.

Everything I search for online ends up talking about wheels, axles, gears being stuck or locked up, but my issue is the opposite. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Patrick

/ 1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help #2  
Patrick it sounds like something bad has happened in your rear differential not providing torque to right rear wheel/axle. Engaging diff lock enables LH axle to drive tractor in 4x2 mode and engaging front axle allows it to pull tractor forward. Very likely there is a broken axle shaft or stripped gear on Rh rear side.

/ 1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help
Yeah that's sorta what I was afraid of. I saw a video where someone had pulled off 1 side of the rear and it looked like there was much more going on inside than a regular truck axle.
Would you happen to know if tractors happen to have some type of shear pin in the rear?

/ 1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help #4  
Owned a JD 1070 from new for 20 years. Fortunately never had any power train issues. 870/970/1070 all share components and it was basically a yanmar tractor. I'm thinking it doesn't sound like a diy repair unless you are experienced with drive line tolerance setup.

Owned a JD 1070 from new for 20 years. Fortunately never had any power train issues. 870/970/1070 all share components and it was basically a yanmar tractor. I'm thinking it doesn't sound like a diy repair unless you are experienced with drive line tolerance setup.
Yeah I agree. I've messed around with truck axles, but I'm definitely not a pro and there are a good bit of moving parts in there. I guess I'm off to find someone to work on it.

Thanks for your help

/ 1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help #7  
If I remember correctly the final drive on those are a planetary drive unit ( 3 gears , that rotate around to turn the axle)

I'm in southeast georgia.

I think you are correct about it being planetary gear, I was looking at diagrams and that's what the picture looked like to me.

/ 1993 JD 1070 drive wheel help #9  
From your description of the events, I wouldn't expect much damage in the planetary gears. No matter where they are, they are not forgiving. Almost ANY problem with parts/pieces getting between them and you will hear and/or feel a definite problem.

Your symptom is more likely a snapped pinion shaft. I've seen that more than once on many different model tractors. A clean break there, and you simply lose drive on that axle, often with no noticeable damage to anything else. Other than the usual, (jacking up, removing wheel/tire, removing and handling the final drive/axle assembly) no special skills, tools, or experience needed. It's not that complicated.

Oh cool I will check that out. When it all happened, I didn't remember hitting a stump or going hard on the tractor. I definitely don't hear or feel any grinding. Just thought it was odd that the fuse blew at the same time as losing drive.