1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #1  

drizler

Platinum Member
Does this need something yellow metal safe GL1( seems hard to find) or can I just go with a high quality synthetic ? If so what that痴 readily available without a typical 💸💸 dealer pricing? Thanks

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #2  
I have an early 80's Horse and just put in whatever 80W-90 I can find, usually the super tech. These don't have hypoid gears or copper components to worry about. Mine also leaks from the rear seals even though I've rebuilt it before so I pretty much have to check it and top off every time I use it. The seals just take a beating on the rocks in my soil.

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil
Thanks. . I figured that’s the way of it but wanted to hear it from somebody else before I did just that.

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #4  
We have a Horse and run regular 80W90 as well.

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #6  
   / 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #7  
According to Owners Manual of a Horse I from the same era, they should filled with SAE 140 GL4 (or SAE 90 GL4).

It also says "Do not use GL5 oils"

Same with my 1996 5.5 HP Pony Pro-Line.

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #8  
Where do you find GL4? I've heard that the phosphorus in GL5 eats the bronze gears. I still have a little GL4 left that I got when GL5 came out, but my seals have a leak even though I've replaced it. So I top off before I use it.

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #9  
Last I bought came from Carquest.

/ 1988 Troy built Pony, What Gear Oil #10  
Where do you find GL4? I've heard that the phosphorus in GL5 eats the bronze gears. I still have a little GL4 left that I got when GL5 came out, but my seals have a leak even though I've replaced it. So I top off before I use it.

O'Reilly Auto Parts and others . Cost $19.99 per gallon.

Not promoting this particular shop, but since you asked. I know they have it since I just bought some last week!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/chemicals---fluids-16461/maintenance-chemicals-16867/grease---lube-16582/gear-oil---additives-16905/gear-oil---140w-20063/587d6374459f?q=Gear+Oil+-+140W