1979 Troy Bilt Horse 4 speed Tiller problems

/ 1979 Troy Bilt Horse 4 speed Tiller problems #1  

berlinfire

Tractor
Troy Bilt Horse
I just this tiller from a buddy that was moving to an apartment for 100. It needed air in 1 tire and the battery charged and got it running but some times it runs a little rough but is in really good shape. If I start it right up it seems fine but if it dies and I restart it the thing has no power no matter where the throttle is set and blows a lot of smoke. It has a 8 hp briggs on it that is original. Anyways my main thing is I used it for the first time the other day and noticed the belt was slipping. If I picked the tines off the ground a little bit it would move then it would stop and I would do it again and it would be fine for awhile then it would start squeeking. I stopped for the day and tried to go back out there today and as soon as the tines hit the ground it wouldn't move. So I looked at the belt and noticed the belt was loose. I tried to adjust the little wedge where the lever locks in but it was as low as it would go. So I went online and purchased a new belt from MTD. I'm assuming its a 4 speed cause there was only 1 belt but a spot for another. When I took the belt off I noticed the bottom pulley had some slop in it. More than it really should be. Where can I get a new pulley from. I tried looking on ebay and google but everything that showed up was old sale ads and couldn't find anything else. How much of a pain is it to change this? I would imagine there is a key way in there that is either bad or maybe stripped the slot in the pulley. This is my first tiller and always borrowed my dads which is an older 2 speed troy bilt. Thanks guys

/ 1979 Troy Bilt Horse 4 speed Tiller problems #2  
There are many sources of parts,, but, Bill Rodgers at Valley Power in Roanoke VA is the best.
Give him a call.
Valley Power