1978 Ford 5600 Transmission Dipstick Length

/ 1978 Ford 5600 Transmission Dipstick Length #1  

Bluegoose68

Tractor
Ford 5600
Hello Everyone,

Quick question (I hope). I was checking the fluid levels in my Mom's tractor (1978 Ford 5600) and unscrewed the fill cap on top of the transmission. I was quite surprised to see that the fluid level was very low inside the transmission. I could see fluid, but it was towards the bottom. According to the operator's manual, the fill cap should have a dipstick attached to the underside of it. The fill cap on this tractor had no dipstick attached. I'd prefer to not think about where it is currently...

I got on the computer and found a replacement fill cap that has the dipstick attached. Fortunately the dipstick looks much longer than I thought it would be. That's good news. I ordered a replacement fill cap/dipstick but it'll take a few days to get here. I'd like to get as much bush hogging done as possible this weekend because the ground is dry (part of her land is very swampy and doesn't dry up often).

Does anyone know the correct fluid level for the transmission? How far from the bottom of the fill cap is the "full level" mark on the dipstick? By the way, this is the "regular" transmission. It has 4 forward gears with 1 reverse. There's a separate lever for the High - Low selection. The operator's manual talks about a Dual Power transmission, but it's not that.

Really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you
Chuck

Attachments

• Fill cap.jpg
    Fill cap.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • Fluid Level.jpg
    Fluid Level.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
   / 1978 Ford 5600 Transmission Dipstick Length #2  
This will get you started, pending a better answer from someone, or receipt of your dipstick
1. Measure the distance from the top of your cap to where the dipstick would begin if it were still affixed to the cap
2. Measure the same distance on a website picture of the dipstick. That gives you the ratio of "real" to "photograph".
3. Measure the length of the picture of the dipstick.
4. Use the ratio to determine the "real" length of the dipstick
5. This link shows a "ring" near the bottom of the dipstick.
6. Do you calculations to determine the number of inches from the bottom of the cap to the location of the ring.
7. Dip your tape measure into the transmission case to the appropriate depth of the ring, and add oil as appropriate to the measure of the ring.
Gears are likely better with too much oil, than too little.

/ 1978 Ford 5600 Transmission Dipstick Length #3  
My 3910 doesn't have a dip stick. There's a plug on side I take out and fill until it comes out of that hole. The manual says 12 gallons. When I drained it to change the brake/clutch cross shaft seals, I only got about 6 gallons out. I didn't realize it was leaking that bad. :oops:

/ 1978 Ford 5600 Transmission Dipstick Length #4  
So.e has the dipstickthere.
Other has it on tje right side about 1/3 from the bottom as a small squire plug that can be unscrewed to check the fluidlevel.
TractorByNet-1481187818.jpg