1962 Deere 2010 Overheating

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #1  

Tbone07

Tractor
JD 2010, NH TC40D, Ford 1920 SSS
Just got my grandpa's '62 JD 2010 (gasser) running after ~8yrs of sitting. We had slight overheating problems the last time it was running. So I got it running again (carb rebuild, new fuel lines, distributor rebuild, plugs and wires, all fluids changed, etc.)

The overheating issue we had is still occurring. Here's what happens, and what I've done so far to troubleshoot:

1. Temp gauge very gradually raises past the "N" normal mark.
2. Coolant eventually starts pushing out of the overflow tube by the radiator cap.
3. Radiator is 100% clean and free of debris after I blew out every single fin with compressed air.
4. Fan belt is pretty tight and fan is moving as it should.
5. I replaced radiator cap with one from another tractor, coolant still pushes past cap and out overflow.
6. Brand new cap is on it's way as I'm not 100% that the cap I tried is 100% good.
7. Will replace thermostat as it's cheap insurance. But I think if the thermostat was bad it would overheat much more quickly?
8. Radiator I believe is the original, and may need replaced. What's the best way to test the radiator?
9. I'm going to flush the entire system this weekend when I do the thermostat and new cap.

Anything else I should check? The only other thing I was trying to verify is that the water pump is working correctly. How can I check that it's actually flowing coolant?

Also, how can I tell if the OEM temp gauge is operating correctly? I'm considering replacing that as well. It appears to be working "ok". Seems to raise and lower according to usage.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #2  
Worn out water pump would be the next thing to check, not enough flow.

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating
Worn out water pump would be the next thing to check, not enough flow.
I definitely want to check this. But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've ensured the radiator was full, cap off, and ran the tractor (cold) and looked to see if I can see flow. But I'm not sure how much I should really be seeing.

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #4  
I definitely want to check this. But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've ensured the radiator was full, cap off, and ran the tractor (cold) and looked to see if I can see flow. But I'm not sure how much I should really be seeing.
When you looked into open radiator neck when engine was 1st started cold did you see any air bubbles in coolant? if so engine compression is getting into cooling system

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating
When you looked into open radiator neck when engine was 1st started cold did you see any air bubbles in coolant? if so engine compression is getting into cooling system
I looked for this condition and didn't see it. But I will check it again. The coolant only starts pushing out the overflow when the engine gets warm. So I could let the engine get a little warmer while the cap is off and check I suppose

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #6  
Use a "temp gun" to check various spots on the radiator as it gets hot. A low reading would indicate a plugged area inside the radiator. You may have internal radiator cores that are plugged.

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #7  
Sounds to me like a still blocked radiator. Just 'blowing it out' really does little. You need to flush it out with water repeatedly. I suggest getting a Radiator Genie and using that. Your gradual temp rise tells me the rad is still blocked up.

I flush my rads every evening when I come in from the fields. Could be the water pump or the cap or the t'stat but I'd start with the obvious, the rad.

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #8  
Get some powdered soap for a dishwasher and put a cup in your water. Run that for a week or so and drain into a bucket, see if gunk comes out. Dishwasher soap don't foam.

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #9  

I flush my rads every evening when I come in from the fields. ...........
Interesting. How do you go about doing that every evening?

/ 1962 Deere 2010 Overheating #10  
Simple. pull it up to the shop, do a fluid check, top them off from the bulk diesel tank and wash out the rad from the fan side outward with my radiator genie. I always got crud out of the rad, every evening. I wash out the charge air cooler and the ac condenser as well.

Weekly I'll check the tire pressure as well and grease them too and every week they get a bath as well. I don't like filth and crud. I'll usually use a foam cannon to apply car wash to them and then rinse them off with a low pressure tip on the pressure washer. I usually use 'Chemical Guys' car wash concentrate.

I keep them looking sharp and clean always.