1948 JD A New to Me

/ 1948 JD A New to Me #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I've acquired a family heirloom that starts beautifully and has had a ton of recent work done to it, however, I'm new to antiques and I have a couple questions:

When going uphill, the tractor slows to a crawl but doesn't bog down. Clutch going?

It has the standard dual front wheels, set in the narrow position, but it turns like a bear. Normal?

It runs very well ( I think?), but it sounds like it's noisy in the engine . The water temp and oil pressure are perfect and there's no smoke at all.

I have been using it in parades and it goes well. Just wanting to make sure I'm not just spoiled by a 21 St century tractor...😬

/ 1948 JD A New to Me #2  
Steering may be normal, and to get the wheels to turn, best to be moving. Pretty tough to turn the wheels at a stand-still.
But you may need to check the grease/oil in the top of the steering column.. worm gear in there that maybe could stand some adjustment as well.. that is if it is not worn badly (or worse).

A clutch adjustment is not hard to do.. but here is one of several video's that may help better understand.
John Deere Two Cylinder Tractor Clutch Adjustment - YouTube

/ 1948 JD A New to Me
I'll go back to the manual and see if I can figure out how to lube the top. I only saw the fitting on the axle itself. It has 600 tires on the front, but the book called for 550, so I'll be changing them out soon. I drove a 51 model B yesterday that I'm trying to get and it steers like a dream.

Thank You

/ 1948 JD A New to Me #4  
Good on you for keeping yesterday's iron still alive.:thumbsup: