1937 gold John Deere D

/ 1937 gold John Deere D #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I have had this picture in my files for a few years now and wanted to share it. It was painted repainted green at some point in its time and the people who found it much later noticed where the green was worn off it was gold underneath. When they started cleaning the tractor they found more and more gold paint and did the research to find out just what this tractor was and had it repainted the way it originally was.

The last picture is just a beautiful 1930 Ford truck that I would love to have in my barn. It is the type of truck I would enjoy delivering a load of hay with just for fun:)

Attachments

• MVC00080.JPG
    MVC00080.JPG
    410 KB · Views: 1,918
  • MVC00077.JPG
    MVC00077.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 2,510
  • MVC00079.JPG
    MVC00079.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 2,241
  • MVC00082.JPG
    MVC00082.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 1,615
  • MVC00083.JPG
    MVC00083.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 1,656
  • MVC00084.JPG
    MVC00084.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 1,825
  • MVC00001.JPG
    MVC00001.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 1,710
   / 1937 gold John Deere D #2  
Great story. It's always amazed me how somebody would decide to paint over something as rare as that tractor. Kind of reminds me of those stories about somebody finding a painting at a garage sale and then behind it, is a Monet or something amazing!!!!

Eddie

/ 1937 gold John Deere D
I would imagine they sold this tractor just like they do now with commemorative tractors. They are made different but are still sold to be worked. As the farmer either retires or sells it the next guy might not know its history or even care. They re paint it if it needs it and in this case they make it look like a JD D was suppose to. Then a lucky collector finds it and restores it and if they want to sell it there are a lot of people willing to shell out big bucks for this tractor.

Some times people get lucky and in this case it was good that a collector found this tractor and not a scrapper or parts dealer who would just rip the tractor into salvage parts.

I will say these pics were taken in 2001 with my first digital SLR camera so the pictures do not do this tractor justice. It is an amazing tractor and a beautiful paint job. I wish I could see it again with my newest camera which is 5 times better then my original. Someday I will run across it again and hopefully I will have my camera then.

/ 1937 gold John Deere D #4  
Robert,

One advantage to all of us with you breaking your back is that you're coming up with some great posts!!! Must be all that time you have available while healing.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ 1937 gold John Deere D #5  
Robert_in_NY said:
Someday I will run across it again and hopefully I will have my camera then.

Owner and his son live not too far from here. (Near Evansville, Indiana) Their tractors make apperances at a few of the better local shows. They've got a bunch of VERY valuable collectables. Owner post's over on YT a lot. Goes by "Gold Leaf Deere".

/ 1937 gold John Deere D
Well, if I send you my camera can you go get a pic of the D:D

I wonder if he is going to come back to NY again. I know he wasn't here this year so mabye in a two years when the next show is. If I get over to YT I will see if I can track him down and ask. He has a unique name:)

/ 1937 gold John Deere D #7  
Next show I attend where he's there, I'll shoot a bunch of pictures for you. As cold as it is right now, I might not go outside 'till spring though :eek:

/ 1937 gold John Deere D
Farmwithjunk said:
Next show I attend where he's there, I'll shoot a bunch of pictures for you. As cold as it is right now, I might not go outside 'till spring though :eek:

Thanks Bill, you can take your time though as I am sure you don't want to catch a cold:)

Eddie, I keep looking for post that I can chime in with and chat some but then I have all this spare time so as I think of something I post it. Usually, back when I was working, anytime I thought of something I would forget it before I ever posted anything.:rolleyes: I am glad I can keep you guys entertained though:)

/ 1937 gold John Deere D #9  
Robert_in_NY said:
Thanks Bill, you can take your time though as I am sure you don't want to catch a cold:)

I went to an auction yesterday with a distant hope of getting a 1066 IH that was being sold. It was 33 degrees when the sale started. Rain and sleet falling. Temps dropped 4 degrees and the wind kicked up to 25 to 35 mph gust's. By days end everything had a coating of ice and some snow. And you know what? There was a HUGE crowd. (No one could do anything else because of the weather so they went to the auction) The 1066 was a disaster on wheels. If they would have given it to me, I'd have left it there anyway. The word pneumonia kept passing through my mind. I was home 20 minutes after the sale started. I said something about getting soft in my old age. My wife said it might be that I'm getting smarter as I grow older.

I'm stickin' with the softer story. ;)

/ 1937 gold John Deere D
Everyone was at the auction because of how bad the weather was. They all figured the weather would keep everyone away so they would get some deals. What you do is go to the weather on real nice days because people don't go to those because they figure everyone will be there. Auctions are fun:)

I dislike the huge auctions where you have to be there 2 hours early just so you can park 1 mile away. The one Case-IH dealer has a large auction once or twice a year and it is packed there. You can get some good deals and then you can get some garbage. They put some good tractors in the auction just so people don't think they are dumping the garbage they don't want. The nice tractors bring high dollars and so does the junk tractors because people get desperate and don't want to go home empty handed so they buy the junk. I stick to buying implements as you generally know what you are getting by looking them over where as the tractors you can't drive around are a big risk.

I do love setting up auctions for my friend (equipment auctions). He has us do it since I have the equipment to handle most of these old farm auctions (my TN was a little weak to lift up an old spoke wheeled McCormick. That was one heavy block of iron and I ended up having to lift the rear up some to slide the tractor away from the road and then do the same with the front. But he always pays us more then we are worth and we do what we can to help him out (plus he gets us some great deals as he finds these old places and buys out their barns or auctions the property (bought a Vicon for $150 thru him;)))