1872 PTO problem?

/ 1872 PTO problem? #1  

OhioGuy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, Case 245, Cub SZ60, Cub 2284
We had a bit of snow overnight in NE Ohio, I got out the trusty 1872 with the 45" blower it was right on the edge of being too wet to blow, sorta throwin slush out the discharge.

Near the end of my cleanup the PTO wouldn't engage, drove back to the shop, turned off the tractor, looked for any obvious problems, nothing.

Got back on started it up, it's working fine, probably until the next big snow! I hate those kind of problems.

Any way sloppy wet snow could short out the PTO clutch.
Seem like if that happened, it wouldn't turn off? Of maybe it got too hot from the extreme workout, it was hardly able to get up to speed, this stuff was heavy and I did three driveways, maybe 700 feet?

Thanks,
Curt

/ 1872 PTO problem? #2  
Possibly snow and ice got jammed in the PTO clutch and prevented the clutch disk from moving. The disk/magnet gap needs to be checked and adjusted periodically. Check the gap with PTO disengaged at 3 places around the circumference and look for a gap near .020 inch. If the gap gets too big it may fail to engage intermittently.

Bob B.

/ 1872 PTO problem?
Bob,

That's a good tip, I've never had to mess with the PTO on any Cub I've owned.

Sounds like something I should have done when it was WARMER and I didn't have the SNOWTHROWER in the way.

Curt

/ 1872 PTO problem? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bob,

That's a good tip, I've never had to mess with the PTO on any Cub I've owned.

Sounds like something I should have done when it was WARMER and I didn't have the SNOWTHROWER in the way.

Curt )</font>

I had a problem twice on my 1450 where the PTO would not engage. Both times the fix was decreasing the gap. Of course, this was over the course of 1100 hours and 26 years.

Bob B.

/ 1872 PTO problem?
I actually had a main fuse on an 1862 that was corroded to the point it couldn't pass enough current to hold the PTO in.
The tractor operated fine in all other respects.

It is amazing, the hours I've logged with such minimal repair time. It says a lot for the quality of the equipment!

Curt