1835 M Hydraulic issues?

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #1  

Miande

Tractor
MF 1835M
I just purchased and 1835M and I feel like there is an issue with the hydraulics. I had a 1526 and when I called dealer to discuss the symptoms, the mechanic told me that the 1835 transmission would not be as smooth as the 1526 and referred to it as a Known Operating Condition.

When cold, everything works fine but after about 30-45 minutes of use, it feels like the hydro is slipping but I only notice this in reverse. There are times when I have the bucket full and it will barely move unless I smash the reverse peddle completely down. Yes, I am in low range. I have noticed this in 2wd and 4wd in both low and medium range. The other thing is at times, the steering seems to lock up until I get the wheels rolling. AT complete stop I will start to cut the wheels and the steering is completely locked. As soon as I start moving, it works fine. This condition is intermittent. The slipping in reverse, once it starts it will continue until I let the tractor cool for a bit but once the trans fluid seems to get sufficiently warmed up, it starts slipping again. I can't believe this is normal. With a full bucket, I would like to reverse slowly and carefully and not have to give it full speed. BTW, I am running at 2500 RPMs the entire time.

Due to supply issues, I had to go 2 hours away to get this unit. I have a dealer who is much closer but the selling dealer is strongly discouraging me taking it to another dealer. Said I would have to pay for the work and then send receipts to them to get reimbursed. This is a new unit. Had 1 hour when I purchased. My plan at this point is to return it to the selling dealer, drive it around their lot until it starts slipping and then have them drive it. If they tell me its normal then at least I can take it back home with me rather than making a second trip.

Curious if anyone else out there who has an 1835M can comment on these issues. Dou notice any change in the operation of the hydrostat between initial startup and 45 minutes into use? Ever noticed the steering lock up until you got the wheels rolling. I loved my 1526 and never experienced anything like what I am experiencing with the 1835M.

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #2  
First, I do not think AGCO will agree that you have to take it to the selling dealer. Everyone involved will probably ENCOURAGE taking it to the selling dealer but you sure as heck don't have to. Second, this may be something very simple like the wrong hydraulic fluid, a wrong fill level or who knows but with a new tractor it is the dealer responsibility, period. Do not tolerate being told this is normal -- NO WAY. Many tractors do not respond properly to steering, etc. until you rev the engine up just a bit but it sounds like you already tried that. Make 'em fix it. In my experience AGCO will back it and ultimately do what is right.

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #3  
Not being able to steer with a loaded bucket when the tractor is stationary and the moment the tires start to roll it will steer just fine is normal. Almost all MF compacts (and many others) have been that way for a long time. For your other issue the performance shouldn't be much difference between hot and cold oil.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #4  
I'm following this closely as I am seriously considering trading a JD for a 1835M or 1840M.

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #5  
Hydrostatic should have similar power forward vs reverse hot or cold.

Does the engine strain at all in reverse when tractor is moving in sluggish manor.

New tractor I would be hesitant to make any adjustments since that could cause issues with warranty.

Steering with loaded bucket do wheels even try to move or does steering wheel just lock up?

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #6  
I have a 1734e which is all Iseki except the engine. It will move in forward and reverse at any throttle setting with even a small input to the hydro pedal, rather slowly at low rpm but that's to be expected. The tractor will move the front wheels at any throttle setting and with the bucket loaded while sitting still.
The behavior of your new tractor does not sound normal at all. Your dealer and AGCO should fix it.

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #7  
I have a 1734e which is all Iseki except the engine. It will move in forward and reverse at any throttle setting with even a small input to the hydro pedal, rather slowly at low rpm but that's to be expected. The tractor will move the front wheels at any throttle setting and with the bucket loaded while sitting still.
The behavior of your new tractor does not sound normal at all. Your dealer and AGCO should fix it.
I got a 12 year old gc2400 which acts just like you described. yeah steering little stiff with loaded bucket raised up but can still turn AG tires (deep tread) on soft ground at idle.

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues?
At around 12 hours it started to settle down and now seems to be operating properly. The steering still seems to be a little stiff at times but it is nothing major. As for the ability of the tractor. it is everything I was hoping for when I traded in the 1526. I considered some of the other models but the 1835M was the heaviest and had the greatest hydraulic flow of the tractors I was considering. Also, I was really happy with the 1526 and felt I would get my best trade value if I stuck with Massey. I am not disappointed in my decision and if something is wrong, I have faith in the warranty.

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #9  
At around 12 hours it started to settle down and now seems to be operating properly. The steering still seems to be a little stiff at times but it is nothing major. As for the ability of the tractor. it is everything I was hoping for when I traded in the 1526. I considered some of the other models but the 1835M was the heaviest and had the greatest hydraulic flow of the tractors I was considering. Also, I was really happy with the 1526 and felt I would get my best trade value if I stuck with Massey. I am not disappointed in my decision and if something is wrong, I have faith in the warranty.
Should be a great machine. Enjoy it !

/ 1835 M Hydraulic issues? #10  
I have an 1835M with cab. I have been using it for a year and half and have not had any issues like that. I’ve moved thousands of full buckets of dirt from huge mounds left over from digging a pond with an excavator. I’ve had 20-30 tri-axle dump trucks bring in material and never had a problem with it there either. The only single thing I have seen it do that I wasn’t thrilled about was that the Wicked 55 grapple would very slowly open by itself sometimes after I had been using it for a while. It’s only done that a couple of times over 6 months or so I’ve had the grapple.

I have been thrilled with the tractor overall. I was using a 1726e open station before so this has a little more capability and more importantly I LOVE the cab.