Oil & Fuel 1782 Diesel Questions

/ 1782 Diesel Questions #1  

rcsavager21

Hello again all: I just bought a used 1782 Diesel Cub Cadet SGT. It has 347 hours on it. I would like to get some advice on what I should look for on this machine at this hour range as far as service items. I am going to remove the front grille and sand blast the frame where the battery sits because a battery in the past must have leaked causing the metal to rust. I also need to completely strip the deck and sand blast it and repaint it. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can fill the rust pits on the deck with before I prime and paint it. Also I plan to use rust converter after I sand blast the deck and the front frame to prevent the rust from coming back. I'll lok forward to hearing back from you guys! Justin

/ 1782 Diesel Questions #2  
Justin, that's an unbelieveable find with that low of hours! Is is a kubota diesel in it? As far as the paint thing goes, POR-15 is awesome stuff for a protective coating and/or filler. You can usually find good deals on it on eBay.
G/luck
Joel

/ 1782 Diesel Questions
Yes it is a Kubota diesel in it. I have found that the engine is seeping some oil from the oil pan gasket and I have a slight fuel leak by the fuel injector nozzles. I also think the head might be seeping a little oil on the right hand side. I do think that the hours are right though but the previous owner must not have been real good at maintenance. I think I'll run it for this season the way it is after I snug up the pan bolts and i think I'll remove the engine this winter and tear it down and reseal everything. I also have to replace the radiator because at some point the drive shaft must have come loose at the engine and hit the bottom of the radiator causing the tubes to kink off and make the rad leak. I luckily work at a deere dealership that has an in house radiator shop so i can get the rad recored for 115.00 total. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Justin Altemeier

/ 1782 Diesel Questions #4  
That a good deal for a re-core job. An OEM replacement radiator would be tough to find & super expensive. I'd clean down the engine really good with simple green or the likes to trace the oil leaks, but what you describe is perfectly normal givin the age & lack if use, sitting around, etc.. A Kubota diesel can easily go 2-3K hours. That's great if you've got the time & resources to do a full r/r on it, but it may not be necessary. If the fuel pump is good, she runs strong, doesn't knock or smoke really bad, run it! Be sure to swap out the oil in the trans as well.
G/luck
Joel