1758 Snowmover

/ 1758 Snowmover #1  

onceacop

Silver Member
Tractor
D17 series III, 1758 Massey Ferguson
Have about 190 hours on unit. Will touch on some review. For cold weather starts, this tractor fires off in colder temps than any other machine I have owned. Though I plug it in, I have started without block heater in -5F...

I just moved 2000 feet by about 75-100 feet wide of 2 foot compacted snow off a runway. Using only a angle snow blade, it took a long time. Windrows got so tall that I needed to work about 10 different ones left and right until I had my runway. Traction is incredible. Heat needs turning down even at below zero. Stock lighting is probably as good as it gets in the industry. Almost no oil use that I can tell and I am running it hard. Changed to Mobil 1 15/40 diesel last time around. Trans/Hyd has Cenex Maxtron at 50 hour service. I think in cold weather that stuff flows nice. Tractor is quiet I feel for the RPM I am working at. I plowed in M range most and sometimes in L. When doing driveways and aprons I can go in H with 6-8" snow.

A few things that I don't like. If steering goes all the way to the stops the tires can lock at angle and I just need to back up a tad to release then. Only happens when I am pushing snow and tractor isn't going straight and I attempt to turn out of slide. When in a hurry one needs to make sure the range lever is in it's detent. I have several times had tractor moving forward or backward only to have range pop out into neutral. It's evident when one is positively in gear and when in a hurry it's operator error on my part if the range pops out. Radio speakers if they were factory are not good quality. R1 tires on this unit with fluid are tough on grass. I feel R4 tires would not have let me push snow like I did. 3 point lever rattles unless you have the 2 height adjusters tightened down against the lever but then you cannot use it until those are loosened. Inside the cab I would like a few trays or areas to place things. It has a cup holder but that is all.

rryy.jpg

wew.jpg

ruiy.jpg

otut.jpg

/ 1758 Snowmover #2  
I saw my new MF 1758 in the shop for the first time this week. I noticed the tires made contact at the center of the tread, but not at the outer and inner tread. Dealer told me the tires are fully inflated for shipping, and they will bleed air pressure before delivery. He said they bleed down until the entire tire contacts the surface-- center, inner, and outer. He said that makes a very big difference regarding traction.

Nice pictures! I'm looking forward to joining the MF 1758 club!

/ 1758 Snowmover #3  
So what is that you're flying?

/ 1758 Snowmover
I see a tripacer in your pics, had a Super Cub before the Scout. Always liked the Pipers and their wing.

ZORBAZZZZZZZZZ2017.jpg