1725 takes a while to start

/ 1725 takes a while to start #31  
I really don't see an issue. mine, while its a 2010 with almost 500 hours on it, rotates abut 6-8 full turns or so then fires up and runs.

edit: got a 2021 GC1723 with 104 hrs on it sitting here. same start times.
2021 GC1725MB next door with 120 hours....same thing.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / 1725 takes a while to start #32  

It was 90 degrees out when I did the video. Battery tested out to 390 cranking amps and was resting at 12.86volts. I used it a lot yesterday.it has always started but from what I’ve seen on other videos theirs fires right up.
Seems about right.... About the same as my GC 1715... Watching video it takes about 3 seconds of cranking to start (about 9 second to 12 second mark in video)....

• Good Post
   / 1725 takes a while to start #33  

It was 90 degrees out when I did the video. Battery tested out to 390 cranking amps and was resting at 12.86volts. I used it a lot yesterday.it has always started but from what I’ve seen on other videos theirs fires right up.
If you did not use the glow plugs that [video] seems very normal to me. Exactly what my BX2200 would do. But if that little yellow coil symbol upper left means your glow plugs are on for that period of time -- then there is something not quite right.

If that little yellow coil symbol, upper left, means your glow plugs are SUPPOSED to be running for that example period of time in the video then I'm betting there is something ailing & the glow plugs are not really "on." Either way, I'm saying if the glow plugs are really on it should start faster than that.

My MF2660 with a larger 4cyl Perkins starts much faster than that in warm weather without glow plugs but 4 Kubotas I have DO NOT.

I my opinion you use the glow plugs for every "first start" regardless of outdoor air temperature. A very short glow plug time in warm weather and longer in cold weather. Inversely proportional to the temp. I think most people gain experience and a feel for what seems optimum for them. Try just a few seconds of glow plug time and then crank. Play with the amount of time until you are happy with how quick it starts. None of this is critical or to make a big deal of but you are wearing out a lot more things cranking that engine than you are letting glow plugs run a few seconds ... over the life of the machine.

/ 1725 takes a while to start
If you did not use the glow plugs that [video] seems very normal to me. Exactly what my BX2200 would do. But if that little yellow coil symbol upper left means your glow plugs are on for that period of time -- then there is something not quite right.

If that little yellow coil symbol, upper left, means your glow plugs are SUPPOSED to be running for that example period of time in the video then I'm betting there is something ailing & the glow plugs are not really "on." Either way, I'm saying if the glow plugs are really on it should start faster than that.

My MF2660 with a larger 4cyl Perkins starts much faster than that in warm weather without glow plugs but 4 Kubotas I have DO NOT.

I my opinion you use the glow plugs for every "first start" regardless of outdoor air temperature. A very short glow plug time in warm weather and longer in cold weather. Inversely proportional to the temp. I think most people gain experience and a feel for what seems optimum for them. Try just a few seconds of glow plug time and then crank. Play with the amount of time until you are happy with how quick it starts. None of this is critical or to make a big deal of but you are wearing out a lot more things cranking that engine than you are letting glow plugs run a few seconds ... over the life of the machine.

I ran the glow plugs for maybe 10 seconds before I tried to start it. Actually that was the second time I hit the glow plugs. I went to make the video and the tractor was in gear and didn’t realize it. I did about a 10 second cycle then hit the key and realized it was in gear so I started it all over again for the video.

I daily drive a 2003 vw tdi so I know all about glow plugs. Even today it being 90 out the plugs cycled for a few seconds. I agree without the plugs it would me much longer to start. It would never do it in the real cold without the glow plugs.

/ 1725 takes a while to start #35  
Try starting with the throttle at about one quarter to one third up from idle

/ 1725 takes a while to start #36  
60°F, cold start. No glow plugs. 17 years , 900hrs. Recent Yellow Top Optima (great deal on a factory 2nd). Starts within a 1/2 second of the OPs video. After starting, the engine still retains a lot of heat, making for quicker, nearly instantaneous restarts. Depending on how long/hard you run, the effect may last for hours, until the engine completely cools. Don't believe everything you see on the internet.

There is nothing to be concerned about.

/ 1725 takes a while to start #37  
Like someone else said, bump up the throttle. When I'm going to park mine for a while I shut it down with the engine somewhere between 2 and 2.5K RPM. That is where mine starts the best.

Other than that it seems about right to me for a cold engine with the throttle at minimum, even if it is 90 outside.

Like someone else said, bump up the throttle. When I'm going to park mine for a while I shut it down with the engine somewhere between 2 and 2.5K RPM. That is where mine starts the best.

Other than that it seems about right to me for a cold engine with the throttle at minimum, even if it is 90 outside.
I don’t think I had the throttle at minimum. I’ll try different throttle positions to see if there is any difference.

I used it a lot this weekend I moved a 22 ton load of fill I had delivered to its new home. Man it dosent go as far as you think it’s gonna. Probly gonna need 2-3 more loads or more depending how far I go. Little tractor did it fine it just took a lotta buckets.

• Good Post
   / 1725 takes a while to start #39  
If it's already been running mine starts right up on the first turn. Didn't realize that it was already warm. I generally don't need to run GPs at all if the engine is already warmed up. It only takes a few turns when it's cold after sitting for several hours.

• Good Post
If it's already been running mine starts right up on the first turn. Didn't realize that it was already warm. I generally don't need to run GPs at all if the engine is already warmed up. It only takes a few turns when it's cold after sitting for several hours.

It always cranks for a bit even if I just shut it down.