17.5X24 R4 tire off rim

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #11  
Put a tube in it. The problem with ether on that size tire is that it probably will stay mounted for a few seconds and when the hot blast cools down, it will suck itself off the rim again. But that depends on whether the rim has a safety flange at the bead. A tube never fails to rim the tire.
They don't suck in on me. I always take Schrader valve out. Use a rubber tip blower. I use starting fluid on tubeless tires with reckless abandon.

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #12  
The problem with ether on that size tire is that it probably will stay mounted for a few seconds and when the hot blast cools down, it will suck itself off the rim again.
You can't convince me the temperature change pulls it off. I'm not going to calculate the volume of that tire but lets say it's 2 cu ft and starter fluid creates 4^2 of air and heats that air (momentarily) to 300 f, for it to drop back to 2 cu ft (assume that's ambient pressure) you'd have to cool that air to -80 f...that's eighty below zero. to get it to "suck" the tire off the rim you'd need to get it colder still. There's a million other thermal calculations and variables for what the air looks like when it actually seats that tire, but I'm calling bunk on your statement.

You can convince me the bead isn't set well enough to hold it off of a starter fluid seating because it's not fully set and that's not the tires natural shape/state and it requires air pressure to fully seat and hold in place.

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #13  
You can't convince me the temperature change pulls it off. I'm not going to calculate the volume of that tire but lets say it's 2 cu ft and starter fluid creates 4^2 of air and heats that air (momentarily) to 300 f, for it to drop back to 2 cu ft (assume that's ambient pressure) you'd have to cool that air to -80 f...that's eighty below zero. to get it to "suck" the tire off the rim you'd need to get it colder still. There's a million other thermal calculations and variables for what the air looks like when it actually seats that tire, but I'm calling bunk on your statement.

You can convince me the bead isn't set well enough to hold it off of a starter fluid seating because it's not fully set and that's not the tires natural shape/state and it requires air pressure to fully seat and hold in place.

Then you haven't experienced the situation where the heated air cools and the bead DOES hold. Then we see the tire deformed by the inner pressure now being less than outside atmospheric pressure and the tire looks awesomely funny. Scarily awesome funny. And convincing.
I don'r need to convince ANYBODY. I've done it, seen it, and experienced the reaction when I pull out the Schraeder valve to fill it normally. A few YouTube videos will show this, too, but you will probably say they are rigged...

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #14  

Watch this video. A few examples of implosion. The one at 5:06 is really all you need to see. PV=nRT.

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #15  
I recently made the same mistake, i.e. too low on air pressure. After an hour of beating on the tire to re-center it, and using 2 of those 4" straps (pulled as hard as I possibly could) it finally seated. Using WD40, soap, or whatever you have handy, definitely did help.

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #16  
I fought with tires for years, little ones on lawn mowers to large tractor tires. Then I broke down and bought one of these 5-6 years ago kicked myself in the butt for not buying it many years ago. Some years it may only get used once but it gets borrowed a couple of times a year.
1681906985652.png

It's only a 5 gallon unit but it works on little tires and UTV tires and it helps a bunch even on 20.8-42's which are the largest I've had to work on.

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys! After wrestling with transport straps, transport chain and ratchets, I said that's enough.
Wound up shooting it with ether, twice. Both beads were broken, first shot seated the inside, second the outside. As I mentioned, ether was my last resort, and it worked.
20230415_144213tire.jpg
20230420_110615TIRE2.jpg

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #18  
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys! After wrestling with transport straps, transport chain and ratchets, I said that's enough.
Wound up shooting it with ether, twice. Both beads were broken, first shot seated the inside, second the outside. As I mentioned, ether was my last resort, and it worked.View attachment 796544View attachment 796545
Glad to hear you got it on.

You should have made a video of you using the ether.

Were you able to get most of the weight off of the tire?

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim #19  
Good job ! I've used it with great success, but finding 'ether' is difficult. Now it's 'starting fluid' which is basically WD41 (slightly hotter than WD40) and barely burns. I get my ether from garage sales (old school cans). If you go to a hardware section asking for 'ether' they show you ethernet cables to put your tires on youtube.

BTW: The amount of ether (timed by the size of the tire) is critical, and put it inside the tire, don't get any on the outside like you see in many examples.

/ 17.5X24 R4 tire off rim
Ether works... But it's one of those things where less is better than more to begin with...
Oh ya, I only sprayed for about 2-3 seconds before I lit it off
Glad to hear you got it on.

You should have made a video of you using the ether.

Were you able to get most of the weight off of the tire?
Yes, I had the tractor jacked up on my 3 ton floor jack.
I would have made a video, except I was alone, with a torch in one hand, and a fire extinguisher in the other. That claw on the side of my head can't quite hold a cell phone!🤪