16LA Removal w/o Kickstand

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Let's say -HYPOTHETICALLY- that a 16LA owner forgets to pin the kickstand up after reinstalling the loader and hooks a big root while backing up. Further, let's assume the U-shaped bracket where it is pinned and hinged (left side) is disfigured beyond use.

What do you think would be the best way to remove the loader without the kickstand's support? My ideas include:

-Filling the bucket with something heavy and using the lift and curl like normal (or some logs on the pallet forks)
-Making some temporary supports with 2x4's on each loader arm

Anyone had any experience with this PURELY THEORETICAL question....?

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifMark /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #2  
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif For a PURELY HYPOTHETICAL answer, I'd get it fixed right, and soon, 'cause those things are heavy if they fall on you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #3  
Temporary supports on the arms may not work, at least it wouldn't on my TC18 w/12LA loader. The loader arms are more or less inline with the tires. You'd get it unhooked and not be able to back out. Might be able to try a chain hoist up in a tree around the arms.

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #4  
Any chance you have a friend or neighbor who's hypothetically a good welder?

If the bracket took the brunt of the abuse and the kickstand is still usable, I wouldn't think it would cost a crazy amount to get the mangled bracket cut off and a new one fabricated and welded in its place. I would bet it would almost look as pretty with a few coats of paint.

Looks like you have too new of a tractor to resort to primitive measures just yet.

Good luck. I feel for folks when those kind of things happen.

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #5  
If you have QT there is no reson to ever remove the loader arms, for mowing or anything. That's the worst part of the whole loader design anyway IMHO.

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone had any experience with this PURELY THEORETICAL question....?
)</font>

No REAL experience... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But I think I'd get some dirt in the bucket and put it flat on the ground. Then I'd take a REAL hydraulic floor jack and put it in the center of the crossbeam and raise it just until It seats really well. Next, I'd curl the bucket up and let the loader pivot on the jack just as it normally does on the stand. The extra dirt in the bucket should be enough to counter-balance and raise the arms out of the posts on the tractor just like normal.

I'm including a photo of the loader just after it is detached from the posts on the tractor. You can see the beam sits low enough for a jack to hold it. I would not use a bottle jack. It would have to be a floor jack or I wouldn't try it.

I hope your THEORETICAL luck improves. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 530485-LoaderRemove.jpg
    530485-LoaderRemove.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 246
   / 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand #7  
Mark -HYPOTHETICALLY- I would break out the welder and fix it right. I gotta agree with Bird as these loaders are heavy and could easily do more harm to ones body than might already be done to one's loader. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess I can come right out and say that -BELIEVE IT OR NOT!- this problem actually happened /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

It happened about 6 months ago, so I have been just dropping the QT bucket when I need to do closer-in work, but the arms still stick out 3-3.5 feet. Also, I need to do some aerating and want to get as much weight off to reduce soil compacting. Further, the damage should be easier and safer to repair with the loader off the tractor. Once it is off, I plan to brace it better until and won't put it back on until it is fixed.

I'll let you all know what happened once I get it off. I just thought I'd look into the collective TBN "brain trust" to see if anyone else had done this before.

Mark

/ 16LA Removal w/o Kickstand
Well....I tried to remove the loader yesterday. I wedged the pallet forks under half a cord of firewood. I was able to pull the pins and get the arms out of the uprights. After shutting down the engine, I started to wiggle the joystick to relieve the pressure necessary to disconnect the hydraulic lines. The loader arms came down on top of the tires, locking me in. Conclusion: if there is weight on the bucket/fork, you can get the loader off, but the kickstand supports it once the hydraulic pressure is relieved.

Mark