/ 165 #1  

Gomer pyle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5090E
I'm looing at a 165 Diesel(not sure if it's the 3.3 or 3.5). 6 speed. It has been sitting for a couple of years but started when I went to look at it. It will need tires fairly soon due to dry rot. While looking at it, I noticed the area around the injection pump is wet with fuel. Also, looks like the rear end as been apart at some time(permatex showing). The gauge shows 6000 hrs, I believe that is probably correct from looking it over, but it has been repainted( rattle can job with a lot of runs).
What is the tractor worth? Is parts availability going to be a problem? Worst case, what am I looking at to fix fuel leak?
I was unable to drive it due to recent surgery. I trust the man who has it but he bought it used a couple of years ago and only used it two days before he got scared(hillside farm) and parked it.

/ 165 #2  
I'm looing at a 165 Diesel(not sure if it's the 3.3 or 3.5). 6 speed. It has been sitting for a couple of years but started when I went to look at it. It will need tires fairly soon due to dry rot. While looking at it, I noticed the area around the injection pump is wet with fuel. Also, looks like the rear end as been apart at some time(permatex showing). The gauge shows 6000 hrs, I believe that is probably correct from looking it over, but it has been repainted( rattle can job with a lot of runs).
What is the tractor worth? Is parts availability going to be a problem? Worst case, what am I looking at to fix fuel leak?
I was unable to drive it due to recent surgery. I trust the man who has it but he bought it used a couple of years ago and only used it two days before he got scared(hillside farm) and parked it.
The average price I found on a used M-F 165 in fair condition; Came in around $3,787. I own a 1959 M-F 50 ( gasoline ) & I have yet to have a problem getting parts for her; Either thru Agco or after market suppliers. The really hard to find parts that I needed I went thru Agco , & they have had them in stock thru there network which has had a pretty good inventory of nos parts; But you'll pay a little more for the parts. You need to find out what he wants for the tractor , & go from there . Good luck !

/ 165
He is asking 3200(probably bottom dollar). I expect 1000 for new tires. Just trying to budget what to expect.

/ 165 #4  
Is it a tractor You really need? IMHO I would offer 3k for it , & be prepared to walk away; Your spot on your tire pricing. You'll be going over the value of the tractor slightly; I would see if he has any maintenance records , & check the fluid conditions , Coolant , Hydraulic fluid , Filters,& battery all the stuff that could add up quickly. & see if he's okay with You taken it thru the gears; Check out the pto are the hydraulics working properly, & last does any implements come with it.

/ 165
He's down from 4000, so that is the bottom dollar. It has no implements with it. He has no records as he hasn't owned it that long. He told me to take it home and use it but I don't like to do business that way and due to a recent injury/surgery I'm unable to do much right now.
I was hoping to get something and be ready for bushhogging and garden tilling this spring. I normally do all my own mechanic work but won't be able to do much of anything with one arm until late summer.

/ 165 #6  
good idea to check the clutch condition, you don't want to split the tractor at the start.
good luck

/ 165 #7  
He's down from 4000, so that is the bottom dollar. It has no implements with it. He has no records as he hasn't owned it that long. He told me to take it home and use it but I don't like to do business that way and due to a recent injury/surgery I'm unable to do much right now.
I was hoping to get something and be ready for bushhogging and garden tilling this spring. I normally do all my own mechanic work but won't be able to do much of anything with one arm until late summer.
So I guess You want a tractor that is pretty much turn key? If it doesn't need anything more than what You mentioned; I would go with it. I still think You need to go over it real good; If the tractor has been sitting for 2 years it's going to need all the fluids serviced if it's been sitting outside.IMHO if You think it's in the price range that You want? Knowing what it needs; I'm guessing You might be figuring it will not be around when You get healed up. & the guy sounds like he is pretty reasonable. It doesn't matter if You buy any tractor right now; As it will be a paper weight until You get healed up. But like I stated if You feel like it's a good deal; You ought to get it so You have it when your ready; Because it might be gone before then.

/ 165
So I guess You want a tractor that is pretty much turn key? If it doesn't need anything more than what You mentioned; I would go with it. I still think You need to go over it real good; If the tractor has been sitting for 2 years it's going to need all the fluids serviced if it's been sitting outside.IMHO if You think it's in the price range that You want? Knowing what it needs; I'm guessing You might be figuring it will not be around when You get healed up. & the guy sounds like he is pretty reasonable. It doesn't matter if You buy any tractor right now; As it will be a paper weight until You get healed up. But like I stated if You feel like it's a good deal; You ought to get it so You have it when your ready; Because it might be gone before then.
It doesn't have to be turn key, I just need to be able to use it(or my son does)until I'm well enough to turn wrenches. Also, I'm unable to really go over it right now due to my injury. They number of hours concerns me and the leak around the injection pump. I have split many tractors and don't mind it but I know injection pumps can get expensive.

/ 165
Well, I passed on the 165 but did find a 175 with 4800hrs on it. It has power steering but only works one direction. Is that adjustable? It looks like it is. Also, I've never run a Massey before(or a tractor with backwards pedals), it seems like the clutch releases kinda high. It is a two stage clutch for the PTO. Are they normally kinda high?
Thanks
Daniel