16 x 16 Synchro shuttle transmissions

/ 16 x 16 Synchro shuttle transmissions #1  

Tractor Shopper

Bronze Member
Tractor
2009 Mccormick CT50U
Whats everyone's opinions on these Transmissions? If anyone has on videos or explanations on how they operate would be much appreciated, I can't find much online. I'm looking at a tractor (Montana 4340c) with one but I didn't get to try it yet. I know there are many people who love the HST which I have operated in sidewalk plows and a couple of small bucket loaders, and really liked them but if the 16x16 was the same operation as the older front end loaders or John Deere grapple skidders I'd be fine with that. The Skidder had a clutch but you didn't really have to use it, maybe taking off with a really large load, but after that you could shift throught the gears but only letting off the fuel a bit. Just wondering if they were similar or if there more like the old style Standard transmissions. Hopefully I'll be able to try one in the next few weeks and answer my questions but any help or advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

/ 16 x 16 Synchro shuttle transmissions #2  
I have the 12x12 synco transmission and I relate it to the five speed manual that is in my pickup. You can shift progressivly from 1st through 4th in a given range (H M L) and you do have to use the clutch. You have to be at a complete stop and at idle to change ranges from high, medium and low. You can change directions from forward to revese with out stopping completetly but you do have to use the clutch.

I have operated a old Massey industrial that had what they called a "power shuttle" and you could change directions with out using a clutch by throwing a lever. The montana's are not that.