Buying Advice 1538 price and situation

/ 1538 price and situation #1  

whitexc

Bronze Member
Tractor
Shopping
Hi folks, been stalking for a while and joined a few weeks back. This is a great site with a ton of info tractor related and just about anything else it seems. I am currently looking at a 1538 Hydro TLB. I don't need to preach about the Mahindras here...I know where I am posting. I have looked at the other colors and price and emissions keep steering me back to Mahindra.

So the local dealer has a left over '16 Hydro in stock (has a shuttle too but not what I am after so...) however they do not have a tractor in that frame size equipped with a hoe. He will have to order a hoe and have it shipped and then install it on the 1538 he has in stock or I can build and order a tractor and pay more. No biggie, except, for that kind of money I really want to spend some time (15 minutes is all I ask - really) on one to see the workings of it and how they run. Is this request a bit too much? The dealer has been great to answer questions and give me his time and he even tried to contact a few guys who purchased similar models last year to see if I could stop by their place and check them out, ask questions, etc. He didn't have any luck in contacting them or lining anything up. He is not willing to equip a tractor that he doesn't have a set deal on because he doesn't want to be stuck with the hoe if I don't buy it. I understand that part but on the other end....I want to try the thing before I buy it. I can rent a lot of mini excavators for how much the hoe will add to the price of the tractor and I would rather run a mini for the majority of projects anyways. What are some of your thoughts?

The next closest dealer is maybe 70+ miles away and I'm not sure what they have nor do I know anything about them. I did put a call into them and will see what they come back with. I really am trying to get someone to sell me a tractor but it just isn't happening and this has been going on for over a month. It's not like I just went today and things aren't working out. I have been to the dealer 4 times and walk away with the same empty feeling each time. If I knew I liked it I could just go for it and beat him up on the price some to keep the business local. He is quoting me just over $29k with a 12" bucket on the hoe before any "in stock rebates" for the cash price financing deal, before tax. I would like to get the monthly payment down from the $420-ish area he is at currently which should be possible with his rebates for in stock items and I can throw some cash at it if necessary. I will likely pay the tax up front if I buy local. I don't even want to talk like I have a deal with him because at this point I don't even know if I like the tractor enough.

Sorry for the book, just a hard working guy looking for advice to best spend his ching. Thanks all.

/ 1538 price and situation #2  
If you want/need to see and use the BH is sounds like a road trip is in order. Buying over state lines and taking delivery in your state may have tax advantages. At 30k taking a long weekend to go look at one seems logical.

/ 1538 price and situation
I agree 100% Neumann. If the second dealer can't bring something together (supposed to call back Monday with new rebates/etc.) then I guess the search broadens. I like the thought of buying local and giving the business to them but at the end of the day I will do all of my own services aside from anything major. I hope the tractor never goes back there and would think they hope the same, save for a parts or service visit once in a blue moon which is still a possibility no matter where I purchase.

How have others worked the backhoe deal out? Did your dealers have what you wanted and let you try it out or did you purchase blind? I have even heard of some folks getting a loaner unit for a weekend - "we'll pick it up Monday, let us know what you think".

/ 1538 price and situation #4  
I agree 100% Neumann. If the second dealer can't bring something together (supposed to call back Monday with new rebates/etc.) then I guess the search broadens. I like the thought of buying local and giving the business to them but at the end of the day I will do all of my own services aside from anything major. I hope the tractor never goes back there and would think they hope the same, save for a parts or service visit once in a blue moon which is still a possibility no matter where I purchase.

How have others worked the backhoe deal out? Did your dealers have what you wanted and let you try it out or did you purchase blind? I have even heard of some folks getting a loaner unit for a weekend - "we'll pick it up Monday, let us know what you think".

Would you buy as a New Unit a tractor or TLB that joe doke abused all one weekend and brought back too or had the Dealer pick up? I wouldn't, neither would anyone else. A tractor mounted backhoe does not have the capability of a trackhoe unit. Tractor backhoes lack the brute strength of a trackhoe. If I am buying a TLB I want to be the first person that gets dirt in the backhoe bucket as well as the front loader.

I guess I could have said that differently. I have heard the orange and even blue dealers will let you test drive one (if they have a comparable demo unit available) but that isn't the case with the folks I am dealing with. And no, I don't want something that has been put through its paces before I get to put it to the test....you are spot on. I want to be this tractors first!

As for comparing a consumer level TLB to even a small rubber track excavator, not even possible. Power, maneuverability and function all go to the track type units. The TLB does get you digging and also moving dirt with one unit but at a fraction of the performance and a fraction of the cost. That is fine by me. I work with construction equipment and am aware that I am not purchasing that. I want something capable of weekend warrior type projects.

The Allmand TLB's(220/325) always come to mind when thinking of smaller frame rubber tire hoes and we have done a number of projects with those type of units in the past. If I get that or a little more out of a 1538 I will be more than pleased.

/ 1538 price and situation #6  
Would you be better to rent a track digger as required and just get a tractor with fel.

Still stuck on a 1538 with a hoe. I have not heard from the second local dealer after I spoke with the salesman Saturday. He did state they had a shuttle in stock but no HST units, that he would have to locate one. Thanks for the replies so far.

/ 1538 price and situation #8  
Re: 1538 price and situation, Backhoes

Farm tractors with a BH are way better than a shovel, but leave a lot to be desired, that goes for any of them. Nice to have for the occasional project, but not the tool for serious work. I have a great Hoe on my L39, But if you got a lot of Digging a Mini Ex flat out kills a BH, even a dedicated machine like the Kubota TLB's.

Renting is tough, unless you negotiate long term, because it will rain the week you rent the excavator, then your are inclined to work the thing 120 hours a week to get your money's worth. I don't "need" my excavator any more, but it still sure is handy, so being foolish I keeping it, but consider buying a good used mini, using it to do the majority of your work and selling it.

Attachments

• 20170429_153245 (1280x768).jpg
    20170429_153245 (1280x768).jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20170409_185809 (1280x768).jpg
    20170409_185809 (1280x768).jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 151
   / 1538 price and situation #9  
IMG_6436.JPGIMG_7436.JPG

My buddies 28XL, just a little hoe with I think a 10in bucket.

It's not the greatest digging tool in the world but it will get it done, down it 6ft I think.

For weekend projects I think a frame mounted hoe is fine, will take a bit longer but will get it done.

I priced a 1533 with a land plane, FEL, rear blade and standard forks and it came out to 23k and change, I forget what the Mahindra "land leveler" and forks cost. I want to say the tractor was 18 or 19k, last years stock. I remember adding a belly deck to a 1533 was close to 6k lol.

P.S. I was gonna sign on a 1533 until I found a used 4320 JD, the same guy I bought my tractor off of had that Mahindra, I made a call and my buddy bought it, he really wanted the 1533 with the hoe but was too far out of his budget, that 28XL popped up with everything he was after, I wouldn't use a hoe enough to justify buying one, he thinks it's a must have lol.

Only thing about the 28XL is the hydraulics are really jumpy, it was the same with the FEL as it was the hoe, i never ran the 1533 at the dealer to compare.

"Only thing about the 28XL is the hydraulics are really jumpy, it was the same with the FEL as it was the hoe, i never ran the 1533 at the dealer to compare."

This is my fear. I understand the level of performance that will be likely result and think it will be ok but I would like to see how fluid the hydraulics run and just the overall operation of the hoe. After sitting on the tractor on the lot and tinkering with the loader, it is pretty much exactly what I expected. I have seen guys with smaller tractors get a lot done with them, leaving me hopeful I will be satisfied with a 1538 if it works out.

Still no call backs from dealers. If this was a car/truck purchase, I would have to change my number by now they tend to hassle you so much.

Last edited: