3-Point Hitch 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #1  

ivanh

Tractor
1510D
I was recently gifted a 1510D and learned a tough lesson. I broke the casting that holds the lower hinge pin on the 3pt by trying to raise it after getting snagged on tree root. In the 187D manual that I have it shows the lower hinge pins as a single rod passing through the rear-end casting. But my 1510D clearly has screw in pins with a jam nut. Mine was not screwed in very far and it broke free breaking the casting away, ouch. Any idea on best way to fix this? 1510D_3pt_lhinge_2.JPG1510D_3pt_lhinge.JPG

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #2  
I think you could bolt on the complete YM186 assembly. The plate holding its hinge pins attaches to several points to share the stress: to that hole, to another nearby, to the drawbar assembly that is bolted to the bottom of the transmission, and to the back of the transmission.

See this recent post with photos comparing 1510/186 mounts.

But it looks to me that the pin was nearly out when it broke loose and you have plenty of threads left to install a replacement pin that has longer threads. I would clean it up with a tap first.

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch
Agreed the stud was not deeply threaded and there are undamaged threads deeper in casting. A bolt on option using this and other fixed points is a great idea, seems poor design(usability) as is. If the 186 is a actually a bolt on to the 1510 then life is good! Even if there is no commercial bolt on that would work, I''m sure my kids would fabricate something in order that this super cool machine be re-gifted.

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #4  
Any chance the lower arm froze to the pin. That is not a design problem, but either an assembly problem or operator error, (lack of tube, or pin not screwed in deep enough). similar thing happened to my YM2000B with similar setup, Arm seized to pin, (my bad). Was able to repair by screwing pin in deeper and grinding down jam nut. YM240 manual shows a repair kit for that, which Hoye stocks. Possibly same for YM186/1510.

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #5  
It looks like to me that there are enough undamaged threads to work with a pin with longer threads. I also like California's idea about using lower link bracket from the YM186. The problem might be finding one.

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #6  
... lower link bracket from the YM186. The problem might be finding one.
This guy on Craigslist, on the west coast, seems to always have a Yanmar or two torn down for parts. He might have that assembly.

I've never bought anything from him, I just see his ad running most of the time.

...not yet called Hoye, the 186 conversion kit is what I need. As I understand it picks up at least 2 other mount points including the one I so lamely broke and can clean up for re-use. I called Raffi in portlandia but his 186 has a damaged 3 point.

...looking for yanmar 186 1510 parts from north cakalak

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #8  
You might want to contact Coldwater Tractor here in Washington. They have many Yanmars....wouldn't be surprised if they have a 1510. Good luck.

Coldwatertractors.com

We had 3 design iterations. Ended up reusing the existing broken lower mount. Split the jam nut on the damaged side. Threaded the stud in all the way built a cross member with end plates mounted to the pin mounts. Picked up the existing limiter mount bolts off the top of the cross member. Need to add new limiter clevises.
mock_up_repair.JPGfinished_repair.JPG

/ 1510D with broken lower hinge point on 3pt hitch #10  
Nice repair.

L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake