1510 complete service and inspection

/ 1510 complete service and inspection
Fellas, need some help.

I started the 1510 today, and had a heck of a time getting it bled and started. It did finally crank and it still does not reach max no load rpm of 3000. It can muster about 2200 no load rpm, but that’s it. It also does not like to idle.

Second problem is no hydraulics. I believe the pump needs to be primed, but I’m unsure how to go about this.

Can anyone give me pointers to prime the pump please? Also, anyone have any ideas about the rpm issue? I’m really hoping it isn’t a injector pump problem, but I can’t figure out what else it could be.

Thank you in advance.

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #92  
I can't remember, did you adjust the valves yet? I'm not any sort of diesel expert, but I know if they aren't adjust it can cause some of the issues you're having.

As for the hydraulics: I would have thought that if the reservoir (trans) is full, then it should pump. Sorry, can't help with that one.

Yes, valves have been adjusted, new fuel filter and lines, injectors rebuilt, and compression is north of 300psi.

I’m thinking the injection pump is screwed up somehow. When I was bleeding the lines it seemed to take forever to get fuel up to the injector B nut. When it did eventually come out of the line it seemed to only ooze out instead of having substantial pressure behind it. When I bled the lines on my 1210 it definitely bled quicker and had more pressure than this 1510.

There is also evidence of tampering with the injector pump from someone in the past. The safety wire is gone, and the limiting set screws are backed all the way out.

I found a good thread on here about another owner with a 1510 that was having hyd pump priming issues. I will try his fixes and see if they work for me.

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #94  
Well, it's a naturally aspirated Diesel and needs fuel, correct injection timing, combustion air, proper compression, valve timing and proper exhaust out. Hope I did not miss anything?

If everything else checks out, it sounds like it needs more fuel.

:scratchchin:

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #95  
When I flushed mine, the hydraulics picked up pretty quick when I fired it up. I didn’t have to prime anything.

As for the fuel, it does kinda sound like the pump has been monkeyed with, which could easily be your problem.

Sorry this post doesn’t really help you any, just sharing my experience

Started digging into the pump as far as I dare without screwing anything up. Was hoping I would see something obvious, rust, plugged screen, bent part, but I haven’t seen anything like that.

D9063BFC-250E-4038-8F1C-F77E9DAA319A.jpeg

Pulled the pump cartridge out of the pump body. There was no signs of obvious damage or wear. The rack slides nicely back and forth with no resistance. Should there be some? I noticed there were teeth on the back side of the rack shaft like it engages a gear or something inside the cartridge.

CCF7604B-B8EF-4290-96BD-2CEE20F24314.jpeg

Here the rack is slid to the left (Full stop) position.

5F10C7DB-08C7-4EAE-8DFD-349A85899975.jpeg

Took the banjo fitting off to check for blockages, found none. Checked the intake port here, and as you can see it is clean.

4B74D787-C8F8-490F-9CF0-848EC48E9107.jpeg

The back side of the cartridge has some retaining clips and bolts that hold the barrels in I guess. I don’t see any obvious issues back here. While sliding the rack back and forth should I see something move inside? I don’t see anything like that happening.

6E307118-BDCC-4EC4-B67F-0A19C32D7ED5.jpeg

The bottom of the cartridge has three roller tappets for the pumping cylinders. I was able to push on these and felt no obvious problems and they returned to position nicely.

AE6CF57C-BCA3-4AF1-BE6F-062636A8AD48.jpeg

The back of the rack has teeth, I’m just not sure what they engage inside. It slides back and forth very easily like it is not engaging anything.

4D88B2F5-AC82-4078-B764-C071693D661B.jpeg

Inside the pump body looked normal to me. No metal chunks, corrosion, or obvious damage. The governor spring on the right side compressed and returned to position fine. The fuel rack actuating linkage did not appear bent or damaged, it moved freely, and the return spring was attached and not stretched.

7FB1ACA9-8F5F-42C3-A4AD-339CF566303A.jpeg

There was a plug on the back side of the pump that appeared to serve no purpose. I removed it thinking it was an oil fill hole, but that is not the case.

97634B2D-8E21-436B-B4D7-FE52C54C0801.jpeg

There was little to no oil inside the pump. I tried pouring some in to fill it a bit, but it just drained into the timing cover. It must be lubed via the engine oil system somehow.

20408358-D1EE-4B41-812E-FAD4D5B5E5B0.jpeg

D2FB6880-B87C-425B-850A-BDA5F84BC1B2.jpeg

This is a comparison of the throttle at stop and full power. In the stop position it contacts the stop bolt, in the full power position it does not contact the stop bolt.

B3893B44-27E9-4F33-9787-0DF9E657CE90.jpeg

My next step is to remove the access cover here and inspect the governor for damage and see if the timing marks line up on the gears.

I’m hoping someone has some ideas here, because I’m fresh out. I suppose I could pull the timing cover and re-time the pump, but that is some serious work. Maybe send the pump out for rebuild? Any help is appreciated.

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #98  
View attachment 529204

Inside the pump body looked normal to me. No metal chunks, corrosion, or obvious damage. The governor spring on the right side compressed and returned to position fine. The fuel rack actuating linkage did not appear bent or damaged, it moved freely, and the return spring was attached and not stretched.

View attachment 529205

There was a plug on the back side of the pump that appeared to serve no purpose. I removed it thinking it was an oil fill hole, but that is not the case.

View attachment 529206

There was little to no oil inside the pump. I tried pouring some in to fill it a bit, but it just drained into the timing cover. It must be lubed via the engine oil system somehow.

View attachment 529207

View attachment 529208

This is a comparison of the throttle at stop and full power. In the stop position it contacts the stop bolt, in the full power position it does not contact the stop bolt.

View attachment 529209

My next step is to remove the access cover here and inspect the governor for damage and see if the timing marks line up on the gears.

I’m hoping someone has some ideas here, because I’m fresh out. I suppose I could pull the timing cover and re-time the pump, but that is some serious work. Maybe send the pump out for rebuild? Any help is appreciated.
Any luck figuring the pump out?

No, this thing has me spun. I’ve been researching Diesel engine surging issues, and usually an air leak in the fuel delivery side, or fuel obstruction causes this. I drained the tank and checked for leaks around the shut off valve fitting and also checked flow rate out of the tank. I found a deteriorated rubber gasket around the tank fitting, but not sure if this has anything to do with the surging problem.

The engine will surge up to an almost over speed condition if I move the throttle up to any setting other than idle. I’ve seen enough run away videos online to be scared of blowing the engine.

After I replace the fuel tank gasket, I’m going to pull the side cover off the fuel injection pump and check the linkage again with the pump installed in the body.

If that don’t fix it, I’m probably looking at a governor issue, which sucks because parts are an issue with this engine.

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #100  
Did the tractor run fine before you started going through it? I know you've done a lot of work - just trying to see if the issue was there before.