15-Year old pistol champion

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #22  
My 17-year old is on a steel challenge team, where they 'draw and ding' 5 - 7 steel targets in a timed competition. He uses 22LR and 9mm. We buy 22LR by the pallet, but thankfully we've been able to avoid buying the BIG dollar guns for him to do pretty well.

Anyhoo, there's a 13-year old girl from Columbia MO that he competes with... she destroys everybody. Amazing young shooter. Hits five targets faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle." Definitely faster than I can count to five. :)

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #23  
One of my friends has a $50k Krieghoff trap gun...same as my $18k Krieghoff, but with a lot of gold inlays. I shot on a squad at the Southern Grand in Florida with a guy who had a $125k Krieghoff "Gun of the Year". He never let it out of hands...never put in a gun rack.

You can take a great gun and embellish it with engraving and gold/silver inlays to make it more expensive but that is just "bling". The "bling value" comes from the many hours of labor and cost of precious metal added. The guns do not perform any better.

That is why I am curious about a $50k target .22. Wonder who made it. I cannot imagine adding that much labor to increase the accuracy of a rifle. Even benchrest shooters invest less than that.
Wow! That brings back memories.... I used to live about 15 minutes from the Silver Dollar Trap and Golf Club.

Got my start shooting American skeet in the mid-80's back when they had a skeet range (they may have one now it's been that long). Still have both my K-80 competition gun and a back-up Model 32 from shooting international skeet. Both were bought as bare bones used tube sets from Hal DuPont.

/ 15-Year old pistol champion
I will see what I can find out about the rifle. I expected to be made fun of posting that with everybody saying it could not be true. i am surprised. Other things he said about the rifle was that once it was set up on the bench he did not touch it except to pull the trigger. And the trigger had a half ounce pull!!! WOW, talk about specialized.

Last year I missed a skunk at thirty feet with a 12-ga shotgun. Tried to shoot right handed and forgot about blind spot in center of vision. Switched to left hand and got it. My target shooting days are over. One of the reasons I bought the point and shoot, no sights, Seecamp.

RSKY

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #25  
A Ruger .22 pistol for around $500 will shoot better than I can hold.
Yep. It will shoot better than about 99.9 percent of shooters. I know I can't outshoot mine.

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #26  
My 17-year old is on a steel challenge team, where they 'draw and ding' 5 - 7 steel targets in a timed competition. He uses 22LR and 9mm. We buy 22LR by the pallet, but thankfully we've been able to avoid buying the BIG dollar guns for him to do pretty well.

Anyhoo, there's a 13-year old girl from Columbia MO that he competes with... she destroys everybody. Amazing young shooter. Hits five targets faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle." Definitely faster than I can count to five. :)
I shot a lot of Steel challenge, "back in the day", It was extremely fun and a game that even old duffers can compete in.

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #27  
Wow! That brings back memories.... I used to live about 15 minutes from the Silver Dollar Trap and Golf Club.

Got my start shooting American skeet in the mid-80's back when they had a skeet range (they may have one now it's been that long). Still have both my K-80 competition gun and a back-up Model 32 from shooting international skeet. Both were bought as bare bones used tube sets from Hal DuPont.
Have shot at the Silver Dollar a few times...and IIRC a place called Robinson’s Ranch. Man that was a while ago.

One of the guys at my old club in Michigan won a Kreighoff decades ago at a shoot in Florida and he got to tour Hal DuPont’s shop and picked out his gun. My buddy was Jerry Grimes. He is breaking clays with the Lord now...but he registered over 350 100 straights in competition.

Jerry helped me when I started out. One day, after watching me for a while he told me, “You will be a good solid A class shooter”. A few years later he was watching me in the shoot off for State Champion after I had run 200. Got second place...but he was proud of me. I was shooting AA then.

I have met a lot of good people in the shooting sports.

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #28  
Have shot at the Silver Dollar a few times...and IIRC a place called Robinson’s Ranch. Man that was a while ago.

One of the guys at my old club in Michigan won a Kreighoff decades ago at a shoot in Florida and he got to tour Hal DuPont’s shop and picked out his gun. My buddy was Jerry Grimes. He is breaking clays with the Lord now...but he registered over 350 100 straights in competition.

Jerry helped me when I started out. One day, after watching me for a while he told me, “You will be a good solid A class shooter”. A few years later he was watching me in the shoot off for State Champion after I had run 200. Got second place...but he was proud of me. I was shooting AA then.

I have met a lot of good people in the shooting sports.
Did you ever have a chance to look at the car collection the owner of Silver Dollar had... it used to be open to guests during big matches? I don't recall Robinson's Ranch by name, but I vaguely recall a facility in Inglis...

I was involved in clay sport from 9 until about 20 years old... actually was 6th going into the final selection match for the '96 Olympic Skeet Team (lol, tanked the match on the first day due to nerves, but ran the 1st 100 straight ever on the ATL Olympic range the 2nd day). If the name rings a bell, I knew Kim Rhode and shot with her the first time she competed at the Junior World Championships. Got out of it when my Dad passed from cancer...he was my coach, my best friend and biggest supporter.

Competition, and finding the zone where I could put 100 straights together was amazing, but more importantly and like you I was blessed with knowing a lot of amazing people growing up in the clay target community. As a kid, and later as a young adult I had an incredible extended family both within FL and without through shooting. I owe a lot of who I am to their wide and deep influence

*Edit - you make a great point about guns..... within similar classes of technology it comes down to what fits and works for an individual. K-80's and Model 32's fit my body and shooting style the best. On the other hand the fastest man I have ever seen with a shotgun ran an 870 pump and used to regularly clean up at live bird shoots.

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #29  
Panik,

I think every older competitive clay shooter knows about Kim. I envy you...what a hoot to shoot on the same squad with her.

I think she won the Gold or World Championship....my old brain is uncertain...at the age of 13.

/ 15-Year old pistol champion #30  
I think every older competitive clay shooter knows about Kim. I envy you...what a hoot to shoot on the same squad with her.

I think she won the Gold or World Championship....my old brain is uncertain...at the age of 13.
It was a World Championship in doubles trap.... had to look. Sincere thanks for bringing back some amazing memories!