12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions

/ 12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions #1  

electrycmonk

Silver Member
Tractor
Satoh 370 diesel & Cub Cadet 7260 Diesel 4WD standard
Okay here are some questions based in ignorance. The old hay bales spike that is mounted in bed of truck had a electric motor die a rusty death.

As this system is a power up gravity drain dedign, may I safely assume that one could safely do the following idea even if my vocab is wrong?
Hydraulic questions
1) to put a "Tee" in-line to cylinder for a PSI gauge to show realtime psi load & leak down rate?
2) Can I safely set up a splitter type valve or diverter type valve to run a different/ 2nd cylinder temporarily - but, only when the original cylinder is not in use and obviously when the pressure is near zero?

I tried to search the forum and guess my vocab limiation is taking its toll again.

/ 12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions #2  
Yes you can tee a gauge into line to determine hyd pressure. I think if adding another hyd valve to system that added control valve should have an integrated relief valve that is not set over existing hyd system pressure. Both the PU truck flatbeds that I've owned with bale spikes have had both raise & lower powered by hyd pressure

/ 12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions #3  
I'm not sure what you are wanting to do.
But if you add in a diverter valve it can be activated at any time,
the system doesn't have to be at zero pressure.

Are you repairing your existing system, new motor?
And wanting a second valve?

Around here finding used electric hydraulic pumps and controls is easy as the pickup snowplows are using them.

They wouldn't be as common in TX.

/ 12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions
I'm not sure what you are wanting to do.
But if you add in a diverter valve it can be activated at any time,
the system doesn't have to be at zero pressure.

Are you repairing your existing system, new motor?
And wanting a second valve?

Around here finding used electric hydraulic pumps and controls is easy as the pickup snowplows are using them.

They wouldn't be as common in TX.

I found an old Bale Spike with bi-directional 12vdc that has a dead electric motor bit the valve body/pump/tank are still good.
Found a replacement motor on Amazon for under $100 BUT....

The old Rotary PAL 5E mid rise auto lift needs a slightly different system (gravity drain) .... And I found a a really short rise auto lift with 110VAC working system that need hoses replaced.

So I was thinking of getting the low rise setup and when I get hoses for the short rise auto lift, get a set or hoses for the Rotary mid rise lift and forget about the hay bales spike stuff for now. That would allow the ability to temporarily use it for either lift while I figure out what the final outcome will be - as I'm not sure which lift frame I'll want to keep and the other, I might sell(no profit) to a friend for his shop that he's starting up.

/ 12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions #5  
for an auto lift Personally I would not even consider a 12 volt unit,
the duty cycle and volume requirement would kill it rapidly.
Your 110V system sounds better.

/ 12VDC Hydraulic pump setup questions #6  
for question #1 - yes you can tee in for a gauge. #2 - yes, BUT if you have power up and gravity down, you have a single acting cylinder and you will be limited to those cylinders. (A double acting cylinder can be used as a single acting, but you only get power in one direction.)

for an auto lift Personally I would not even consider a 12 volt unit,
the duty cycle and volume requirement would kill it rapidly.
Your 110V system sounds better.

I totally agree with you on the Long view regarding the 12vdc pump system idea. The point I was trying to make crystal clear in the beginning was that I wanted to get it working to only test the auto lift(s) for functionality while I figure out the final parts for putting the auto lift into proper service. So in realistic terms - I guess the 12vdc assembly would of been used for maybe 6-12 duty cycles at most? (Shrugs)/

As for @3Ts thanks for re-afirming the logic that an inline gauge is very doable. As for #2 the auto lift cylinder (s) are single hose/single port units so dual action isnt really on my radar.... Maybe it should be for any future Hydraulic ideas, experiments, etal.

It turns out the dual direction cylinder from the haybale spike just might be short enough to placed into duty as a top link cylinder? Or if it's too long for that then it would be great for the tilting of the 3-point blade..... Bonus either way. And it's run on 1/4" ID hoses.

As I recall from the other threads they all seemed to talk about 20-24" being the sweetspot for a top link cylinder?

Anywho. G'night and have a good weekend y'all.

There's got to be a way to figure out the details of the valve body ,- the block assembly that is almost identical for the haybale spike, the auto lift and a hydraulic pump assembly for a hydraulic press that was used on a machine that compresses fittings onto hydraulic hoses.

I received a follow up email from the Craigslist ad for the hydraulic pump assembly & the pictures are so dang similar to the auto lift setups.

I want to search the web for diagrams or schematic of the pump block part of the assembly for solving this mystery to me.
1) if the block of metal that has the tank on one side & the electric motor on the other side and the "pump" inside it is identical BETWEEN the pump setups of the press(hose maker) & the auto lift as both have 110/220V motors.
2) figuring out the words to search with to figure out what part or parts that are mount on or internal to this block of metal THAN I can figure out IF my ignorant gut thinking is visualizing a solution.

Geez I hate this ignorance & lacking vocabulary in this hydraulic field of material. Because, as I see it now. The difference between the hose fitting pump is likely a instant off/auto bleed down setup.
The auto lift pump is a manual button type valve(?) That when pressed opens for gravity drain back to tank.
The haybale spike is a bi-directional flow via the pump so it's only going to allow the piston to move when pump is spinning I. Either direction, no gravity leak done at all?

To metaphor back to cars. Will this sbc v8 shoehorn-fit in the Subaru engine bay? (Ignoring the obvious "with enough $ anything can fit.")