12v Power Port

/ 12v Power Port #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
I am thinking about installing a 12v power port on my XG3037 and wondered if anyone else had done the same and where. I am thinking about installing it on the lower half of the console cover on the left side and would wire it directly to the battery with inline 15amp fuse protection. This would allow the port to be hot at all times. Would mainly use this to charge my cell phone when out in the field all day, but I also like having power ports on all of my tractors (lawn, garden, and farm) to provide emergency power supply if we lose normal electrical service. Can use these to charge cell phones, notebooks, rechargeable batteries for lights, power tools, etc... I have a generator, but learned several years back in a really bad ice storm that you can never have too many emergency power supplies.

/ 12v Power Port #2  
Can't be over prepared for power outages. We have a couple of propane wall heaters and a wood stove for back-up heat. We have a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter in the plow truck and a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator that is kept warm in the garage.

We keep about a years supply of food on hand and can always access the well for water. There are even a couple of kerosene lamps for a homey feel. Ya just never know when Mother Nature will throw you a curve ball.

/ 12v Power Port #3  
I installed one on my B2620 same as how you are doing it. Direct battery power, made sure wires were routed so as to never rub through, fused and just bought a factory power port from a tractor model that came from factory with one.

Like you say, not keyed power, so you have to be sure you don't leave something plugged in over night. But I wanted it for the heated shield on my snowmobile helmet I use when snow blowing. Works great.

/ 12v Power Port #4  
Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I have heated snowmobile face shields and this would work great! Thanks

/ 12v Power Port #5  
I have 2 laying on my "projects" shelf to be done on my Kubota. I got them from Amazon and they are marine grade for boats.

/ 12v Power Port #6  
Doofy.....I bought a new G-Max Trekka GM11 Dual Sport helmet with the heated shield. I still continued to freeze my face all last winter because I am too stubborn to try something different and thought it would impede my visibility.
Then one day I finally gave in because it was very cold and high winds. It was awesome!! The shield didn't even get wet. It stayed warm enough to keep it dry.

I don't want a cabbed tractor so that worked out perfect.

/ 12v Power Port #7  
Just in case it helps anyone also......I used one of those hole saws on the drill bit for wood (I forget what size I used though) and it works perfect for cutting the hole in a plastic panel and it was the exact size for the power port.

/ 12v Power Port
Great idea! The one I am looking at is marine grade and requires a 1.25" hole. As luck has it...I just happen to have that size hole bit for my drill.

/ 12v Power Port
Finished the install of the 12v power port on my XG3037 today. Installed it on the lower left console cover. Here are the parts I used:
*Inline 15 amp fuse holder (included the 15 amp fuse)...Amazon $4.99.
*12v marine grade power port with dust cover (included two female terminals)...Amazon $7.99.
*2 ring terminals (to connect wires to battery terminals).
*1 butt terminal (to add an additional length of wire to the inline fuse holder).
*5.5' of red 16 gauge wire
*6.5"of black 16 gauge wire
*5' black flex tubing for conduit.
Total cost was approx $20....give or take a $1 or $2.

Made up the wiring harness first. Removed the lower left console cover and then carefully drilled a 1" hole for the power port. Had to slightly enlarge the hole using a Dremel w/ a grinder bit. Installed the power port, connected the wiring harness to the port, and reinstalled the console cover. Ran the wiring harness along the same path as the other wiring harnesses and connected the wires to the battery. Zip-tied the wiring harness as needed.

Glad to have this done....will use this 12v power port for many tasks and always good to have alternate power sources in case we lose power at the house.

/ 12v Power Port #10  
This is a good idea. Any pic of the end result?